I Forge Iron

Interesting anvil

Stewart, I nearly bought a blacker hammer before but it didn't have an anvil like that, and in those pics the blacker anvil has a step on one side, but not big grooves on the face like that. Whatever it is, I've never seen one like it!

I own a blacker powerhammer anvil (and used to own a hammer as well) The original anvil is not anything like the ones I have seen. The Blacker anvil has one cut out on one side to allow the edges of the hammer and the anvil to align exactly and has two large, (mine are 1.5" sq) hardy holes at opposing ends of the face.

Stewart; how do you figure it's a Blacker as it's totally different from the one you posted as "here is a picture of hammer and anvil together"?

I can see it more being used for knifemaking-or cutlery those grooves straight across the face would be really useful for hammering along, getting nice straight lines in, and the slightly 'sloping' groove, i can see how that could be utilized, I think this would be a great anvil for that purpose! I just like the look of it!! The big hardy hole seems perfect for stake tools as well. If it were closer I'd jump on it!

A few years ago I think Grant posted a picture of an anvil like the one you show in the original eBay picture at the beginning with a tool in the slot and a tool in the big hardy hole under a good sized power hammer. It seems that they had a wide variety of tooling to fit anvils similar to this one. It may have been in Grant's extremely long post on his development of his anvil with all of the dovetail inserts, remember that?

Yes, well, what can I say, I imagined how to use that anvil, or rather how I would use that anvil, lol, I am obviously not a knifemaker.

Neat video, quenching in whale oil eh!! It would drive me nuts to have so much scale all over my anvil!

Bentiron, I missed that post somehow...

Colleen,

Thanks for sharing the anvil picture. It is cool to see something like that as we get something like that on a regular basis. They have been less commercial production than individual configured.

Thomas,

This is the first one I have seen with a sloped section. Chisel production over knife maybe? Maybe I am just looking at it wrong.

Brian Pierson

It does look a bit like the bottom have of a jackhammer bit repointer. What I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a good place to actually work on the face of the anvil and so I think they intended all the work to be done in the inserts and or that sloped region.