I Forge Iron

Best Artist Blacksmith...

Can't argue with either choice. Darryl Nelson's work is very appealing to me. I love the outdoors and the rams and bears are future projects to try. I knew from IFI Brian made hammers and taught technique but his artwork isn't often mentioned yet one of the first plans I saw for a simple project was a horse head and I didn't even notice it was Brian's until today. The man has talent and knows how to make it look easy.

I always get raised hackles whenever someone says 'who's the best', or, 'what are the top ten...', etc. I postulate that 50 percent of what you're asking involves you! I started smithing when Mark Aspery was coming to many hammer-ins on the west coast and demonstrating, and bringing masters from the UK as guest demonstrators. Whilst I feel that Aspery is the person that I've learned the most from, I couldn't fully grasp his demos and workshops until I'd grabbed 3 years of making mistakes and getting my own cadence down. When I was beginning, the best blacksmith I could name was whomever had the patience to stand beside me all afternoon and ding me on form, pre-planning, fire management, etc. After I'd made a pick-up load of mistakes, the classes i took from Aspery and Nelson were influential and very well worth the price. If you want a good show, go to a movie. If you want to learn, find 28 ways not to do something, and get a better realization on why the instructor does a move the way they do. There's not one way to do anything. There is, what works best for you, with the tools, technology, and knowledge that you posess at that moment.

I always get raised hackles whenever someone says 'who's the best', or, 'what are the top ten...', etc. I postulate that 50 percent of what you're asking involves you! I started smithing when Mark Aspery was coming to many hammer-ins on the west coast and demonstrating, and bringing masters from the UK as guest demonstrators. Whilst I feel that Aspery is the person that I've learned the most from, I couldn't fully grasp his demos and workshops until I'd grabbed 3 years of making mistakes and getting my own cadence down. When I was beginning, the best blacksmith I could name was whomever had the patience to stand beside me all afternoon and ding me on form, pre-planning, fire management, etc. After I'd made a pick-up load of mistakes, the classes i took from Aspery and Nelson were influential and very well worth the price. If you want a good show, go to a movie. If you want to learn, find 28 ways not to do something, and get a better realization on why the instructor does a move the way they do. There's not one way to do anything. There is, what works best for you, with the tools, technology, and knowledge that you posess at that moment.

Sorry I raised your hackles but all I asked was who you thought was the best and who you'd want to study with. The word I is not in my question. Assumption is the mother of all screw ups! I guess you are saying you would want to apprentice with Mark Aspery?

Choosing the "best" of anything is at "best" an arbitrary thing . . . it will always come down to individual criteria based on preferences. There always going to be some amongst the compared who are superior to one or the other in some minor way which then reopens the debate to which is "best". It then becomes a circular discussion at "best".

You've created several threads asking who is "best" at this or that . . . are you trying to get us to answer that for you?
If so, we can't and you'd probably be "best" off making your own choices for your own reasons.

Choosing the "best" of anything is at "best" an arbitrary thing . . .

You've created several threads asking who is "best" at this or that . . . are you trying to get us to answer that for you?
If so, we can't and you'd probably be "best" off making your own choices for your own reasons.

I originally made one post asking all this. Moderators asked me to separate it. So I did. Again the word I does not appear in any of the posts. I simply asked the question for anyone to answer based on their definition. I'm asking who you think is the best for you. There is no one arguing that any of the choices are wrong. There is no argument at all! There are some confusing answers and sidetracked responses. Who cares why the question is asked. Answer or don't it is up to you. :)

Your question is so totally stupid and insulting to all the great smiths worldwide ( including many who actively post here) that I get downright mad every time I see it. The scope of the craft is wide and deep friend, pity you don't have a clue about that or you wouldn't make such an ignorant post. If you want a popularity contest watch the Academy Awards.