I Forge Iron

10 pound anvil drawing $420 on ebay?

This size of anvil is generally called a "salesman's sample" most frequently they are stamped with store information, brand information, or business information. This particular anvil appears to be a "real" anvil with a thick steel face, and unbranded/un-logo-ed , which is somewhat odd.

It is also well described, in great shape, and well photographed.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about them, but I have seen salesman sample anvils go for much higher than this!

Phil

That is a nice little anvil, and someone went to a lot effort to make it. $42.00 / lb is pretty pricey indeed. I have a 410 lb Trenton that I will let go for $42.00 / lb=$17,220. Sold, sold, sold!

If you had a cherry, perfectly marked, "unused" Trenton, or other big name anvil, less than 10 pounds you would be more likely to gain that figure. Well, I would love to see the $17k, but the $50/lb is a possible stretch.

Phil

the aforementioned anvil looks to be a 10 pound fisher, which is a scarce anvil, and very collectable. From what I have read, very very small hay buddens and fishers command enormous prices from collectors, as well as the humongous anvils. I saw a michigan anvil, 601 pounds of shiny used peter wright, sell for over 8 thousand dollars. The hyperbolically small and large ones seem to command the big money!

Stuart is absolutely correct. The small anvil is a FIsher, in extremely good condition. No, I did not get it, although I was a bidder. It went for too much for my budget. 10 lb Fishers are rare, and even rarer in this condition. Yes, I was hoping to buy it for the museum, but even I cannot buy them all. If it had been a HayBudden, it would have brought between 3 and 10 G's!