I Forge Iron

Knife beveling/edging Fixtures

Maillemaker

i use a pair of hands attached to a pair of arms. The workpiece is held up to the moving belt on my grinder at the appropriate angle, or for certain blades I prefer to hold the blade horizontally in in a vice and hold an angle grinder at the appropriate angle :)

Honestly, I've never got on with the various jigs and gizmos. They always take time to set up and have limitations that get on my nerves. Practice free hand grinding and you will be amazed at how uniform you can grind.

edit, just realised you were talking about sharpening rather than grinding the initial bevels. My statement and methods stand, only I tend to use a waterstone rather than a grinder when sharpening ;)

Folks on here are tired of me saying this so let me reeinforce their feelings: This is such an easy thing to do that I learned how. Seriously. But tht does not say that it is easy! First you have to figure out wot angles you wich to use. You can do tht by taking existing edged items that work for you and figure out wot angle they have. Take a black marking pen and mark along the edge and then take a stone, file grinder,,wotever youi wish and take a wee fine cut. see where the mark is removed. Learn to match the angle of the blade edge. Do this for everything you can find that is edgec, axe machete box cutter blade, knives, scissors etc. do a lot of them..then use those skills to sharpen those items..When you hae the angles figured out then grab a long bar of steel and cut into knife sized pices,,grind both ends to blade shapes and use your new found skills to put edges on. Yoiu can put a fine edge on a mild steel blade..it will not hold up at all but this is about learning. Use up the whole bar, youi can only build skills by repetition. Time spent here will pay off big time later on.

edit, just realised you were talking about sharpening rather than grinding the initial bevels. My statement and methods stand, only I tend to use a waterstone rather than a grinder when sharpening ;)

Either/Or. Yes, forge near to shape, but I want to know what others have done. Expanding my horizons

Well the fellow I knew that was selling swords in the multi thousand dollar range back in the 1970's and '80's did all his grinding just with his hands and a Bader belt grinder---optically perfect grinds; *years* of experience. Couple of examples

http://www.shirepost.com/FlutedSwordDagger.html

http://www.shirepost.com/SkySwordDagger.html