I Forge Iron

Potential Smithy

I am in need of advice as to whether or not the building I've chosen is a suitable one to use for my first Smithy. It's a typical "backyard barn" constructed entirely of wood with no windows. 11.5' X 9.5'. I know the three key considerations are Light, Ventilation, and Space, so I realize there will need to be alterations (i.e. more windows etc). I also live in a subdivision, so, is there a way to make it more sound proof?

I tried including a photo in this article, but haven't figured out how to upload pictures to my gallory yet.

Can someone show me the steps on how to create an album or whatever is needed so I can attach a photo?

do not worry about lighting or sound at this point hammer to anvil is about 85 decibels in side the shop it you take a reading from the neighbors yard it will be far less. I would start off out side and involve your neighbors. That way the buy what you are doing. Lighting you want low lighting around the anvil. I my self worked outside for years 11.5x9.5 is a small space if you can add a roof and big doors so you can store your tools in side and work half in and out it will be a space you can grow into. Pictures will help

You can post pictures in this thread. 400x300 usually go in if bigger won't. Use "more reply options" and the upload function is there.

Lots of options on what to do, but talk with your neighbors about it, especially the one on the other side of your drive if you are going to work on your driveway. Have a fire extinguisher and garden hose every time you light up. Take the time to get to open forges to learn fire management (much easier than learning on your own) A few times with other people makes learning the basics go much much faster.

Phil

Plants help buffer sound, hedges, evergreens, etc. Put the extra windows away from your neighbors and hopefully not bouncing sound against you house/garage towards neighbors. Put in a privacy fence to hide your scrap pile and diffuse sound.

That's a good size *if* you can keep most of your stuff outside---see privacy fence. You can get a forge, worktable with postvise and tool racks in that size and still have room to swing 5' lengths of stock. When I had a forge in my old shop it was set in about 10'x10' bounded by anvils and work benches and tool racks and it did quite well for most things. Having my propane forge on wheels really helps when I have to take it outside to swing a 20' stick around it.

(In my new 20'x30'shop extension the forge is in the middle of the floor.)

Phil,

Do I upload photos through the Attach Files option? I tried to but got flagged to enter a security code that I couldn't make out because my screen wouldn't stretch open wide enough...?

Thanks for your advice! I will be sure to check with my neighbors and keep a water-hose and extinguisher nearby.

Thomas,

I like the idea of having my forge portable. Thanks, I'll incorporate it.

Next up, erect a forge.