I Forge Iron

Bushing source?

I'll check with reliable, don't really want to go teflon, this is for a piece of 7" round solid I intend on turning into a hammer head. I picked up 2 pieces, one 20" long for an anvil and another 9.5" for the hammer. About 330lbs in total so far. -j

I'll check with reliable, don't really want to go teflon, this is for a piece of 7" round solid I intend on turning into a hammer head. I picked up 2 pieces, one 20" long for an anvil and another 9.5" for the hammer. About 330lbs in total so far. -j

If I understand, you intend to run a 9.5 inch long piece of 7 inch round through two bushings to make a hammer? Well if the bushings are each 1-1/2 " long that takes up 3 inches if they are touching which only leaves you a 6-1/2 inch stroke. And that is only the first problem I see.

Is this 7" round hot or cold rolled or is it machined?

If I understand, you intend to run a 9.5 inch long piece of 7 inch round through two bushings to make a hammer? Well if the bushings are each 1-1/2 " long that takes up 3 inches if they are touching which only leaves you a 6-1/2 inch stroke. And that is only the first problem I see.

Is this 7" round hot or cold rolled or is it machined?

Look, I don't have to go with this, its just an idea and I wanted to see if anyone knew of a source. I have plenty of ways to overcome issues such as distance of travel.. I don't even have to add bushings to this particular round - but I know now that there is a company that will make custom bushings at a fair price (I was quoted $133 each by my local machine shop and that was for the largest size they could do, 6.75") I was at a local hammer-in this past weekend when I picked up the steel from a scrap yard next door and the few experienced hammer makers there didn't see any problem with these dimensions - matter of fact its only about .75" shorter than a hammer I've used with great results in the past. Now, that being said, I wouldn't mind using this for another project and may go with 4" square by 18" which should give me 81.6 lbs but a much smaller die size and minor height issues I'd rather pass on. Oh and this round was machined as I best as I can tell - it was part of some sort of larger shaft in a former life. -J

Understandable.. I apologize if I seemed a little agitated, I must have let the stress of trying to use my "smart" phone to type a reply get the best of me. :) I went out to the shop again to muse over the situation and the more I look at it, that little piece of 7" round really seems to be begging to be turned into an old style hornless anvil for some of the shows I do, so now I'm left to ponder the round or square question.. I like round because bushings are an easy way out and keeping the head from rotating is a simple solution - I like square for the weight vs length but don't trust myself to place roller bearings precise enough for a rail guided design. I don't know if I could just braze some 1/8 flat brass into a box to act as bushings for this application, perhaps making the whole box disassemble for easier maintainence. Again, sorry about the brash reply.

-J

If you are thinking about a square hammer shaft, you might consider the way they do it on the tire hammers. They use box tubing for the guids an dthen sheets of uhmw plastic up against the steel and shim it to fit with galvanized sheet. There are keepers on teh top and bottom of the tube that are 1/2 by 3/32 angle iron and that keeps the uhmw ans the shims from coming out either the top or the bottom.