I Forge Iron

Would Aluminum Work?

VaughnT

I had the opportunity to pick up a table that measures approximately 4'x4'. I'm thinking that it would make a spectacular forge, but the top of the table is 3/16" aluminum.

The rest of the body is steel and I'm wondering if the aluminum top would be a no-go for a forge table. I plan on using a mild-steel or cast-iron fire pot and such, but wasn't sure how much heat would transfer from the fire pot to the table.

Could I line the aluminum with fire bricks? Cement? Leave it bare?

It's ready to go, as-is. All I would need to do is cut a hole for the fire pot and plumb the blower.... if the aluminum is durable enough on its own. But will it survive the heat?

Aluminum melts at between 1300 - 1500F depending on alloy, just laying a piece of red hot steel on it will melt through. Unlike steel, aluminum never tells you when it is getting close to melting. It is there one sec the next gone. If the top is thick it might present another problem, Aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, it will suck the heat right out of hot work, warping a knife blade or if you set an unknowing hand too close (wouldn't be a problem with steel) your burnt. I would replace the top with steel. Firebrick would work, but the weight may be too much and the aluminum couldn't be used as support for your fire pot. Oh, concrete is a no go also. Concrete when poured never really dries, the chemical reaction locks the water in the concrete. Excesive heat will cause the concrete to pop (ever accadentally touch your floor with a torch) and/or become brittle and break up.

I'd say go for it, 3/16 is a pretty thick piece of aluminum, is it diamond plate or something similar? That top has enough thermal mass that unless you put a really big chunk of red hot iron or a concentrated pile of live coals on top of it you won't have a problem. The heat is concentrated in the firepot itself, and the junction between the top and the pot isn't going to be thermally conductive enough to cause any damage. If you have the table, I'd say cut the hole in it and go for it. Probably the worst that will happen is that it'll warp, and at least aluminum doesn't get rusty. If you are worried about direct contact, line it with a layer of clay and sand, just like a rivet forge.

I agree with OddDuck. I welded aluminum truck tanks for years and I don't think that you will transfer enough heat to the table to worry about. It may get hot, near the pot area, but shouldn't get hot enough to melt or cause you that big of a problem. Aluminum is a very good conductor of heat. If it gives you trouble, like burning your hand, just line it like OddDuck said. You already have the table. You might as well use it. My two cents. :)

Isolate the fire with steel and use the aluminum as a work surface for coal and tools. It should work fine, as long as you keep the fire off of it.

If you use fire brick to support the firepot, then fill the rest with brick, sand or clay then you should be in perfect shape.

Phil