I Forge Iron

Cable knives and Oyster shuckers

LDW

Heres some cable knives I made for someone. The oyster shuckers are for the weekend. I started to make one out of cable but I figured it would just rust away by getting all the wet stuff imbedded in the cable. I decided to use spring. It was very easy to do and they look good. I used the forging element Brian uses when he makes the mushroom, and the spring fuller on one. The other I used a spring fuller to divide up the material exclusively, other than grinding on a belt sander. I hardened and tempered so I hope they do ok. I may post some pictures of them being used after Saturday. Brian and I will test them out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106506050631612810521/RecentlyForged3302012

I like making the cable knives too, it's fun. What kind of cable do you use? I've had a lot of trouble making a decent knife lately. They just wont hold an edge. It seems my supplier only sells the extra IPS cable. I need the XXX IPS but can't seem to find it. The first knives I made were out of a choker, they did really well as far as edge holding goes, now I just use the cable for art pieces.

There is a local company here that sells cable. THe cable I get from them comes from Bridon. Here is a link to there site. http://www.bridon.com/site/products/crane/bluestrand6x36.php
The cable I like to get is a blue strand series is all I know. He called the company while I was there and was able to get out of them that it was comparable to 1082 steel. For some reason they do not like to disclose much info from what I have heard since then. Since it is being forge welded, the quicker you can make the welds the less carbon you lose. I know you would know that but someone else might not. After talking wih Shawn Mcintyre I will never skip normalizing three times again to reduce the grain structure prior to hardening either. The guy had also mentioned that Bridon and one other company are the only companies left that make cable in the US. Both these companies make a high carbon cable, but he said the imported cable was not as good. I am only repeating what I heard from as reliable a source as I can get. Hope this is any help.

Do you know if your stuff is xx IPS, from what I've been able to decifer this is usually made from 1080-1085. Like you said they don't like to disclose what steel they use, I've called and asked. My next move in trying to find the xxx IPS is to call a company that services cranes, you can get a lot of goodies for a free knife or sculpture. The xxx IPS is soposed to be made of 1090-1095, but until I get some and test some IDK.

I'm really fond of the oyster shuckers. Their a big selller around here. (just south of Tallahassee about 30 miles). I've made some out of copper coated grounding rod, and the copper patterns on the steel look pretty good,