I Forge Iron

Purple Hart wood

Was given some purple hart wood scraps and have made scales for a full tang chiefs knife. It is beautiful wood. Any experience or suggestions on finish for this wood in this application. the color is unique and i would love to retain it. but the knife will reside in my kitchen and be used. thanks Walt

Thomas nailed it about the discoloration..I have taken a piece of purple heart and put a piece of masking take across it,,laid in the sun all day and when the tape is removed there is a huge difference in color....The more uv it gets, the darker it gets,,some time down the road without the right coating it is gonna look really dark. May not be a bad thing if you like it.

thanks I was leaning toward spar varnish, but will try urethane on a small piece and see how it looks.

No dish washer its made out of model A leaf spring, a practice knife that survived heat treat. If it will take a good edge (meaning if i can grind a good edge) it should be a nice knife.