I Forge Iron

25 LG motor pulley and belts

A word of caution.....I would use the A double pulley here because the B belts will put undue strain on your 1hp mtr. Two B belts will transfer 5+ hp which looks good from a traction point of view on your hammer but in order to tension the belts properly they will put too much strain on your mtr bearings. A 5hp has much heavier bearings so it can withstand the greater force of pull.

If you have a 1hp motor then do as mb suggested and use the belt that is called for on your 1hp motor. Why do you want to re engineer something that has been done and proven for many years?? You will also reduce the power to the machine by using those larger belts due to more power needed to spin them. If you really think you want to try to re engineer it at least try to go in a positive direction and either use a cog belt or a multi-V like the serpentine one on cars. Those have much less power loss compared to V belts

I answered your question , but I agree with the two post above.When I build a 25LG I prefer to use coged belts. old stye use 19LG100. That will have a pitch diameter of 2.268 . They are available In 1 tooth increments to 22 tooth then in 2 tooth jumps. If someone insists on V belts I recomend 11/2 hp 2 a belts. I also have shipped several with a 3 inch wide flat belts. Flat gives lots more surface area with low belt tension

If you have a 1hp motor then do as mb suggested and use the belt that is called for on your 1hp motor. Why do you want to re engineer something that has been done and proven for many years?? You will also reduce the power to the machine by using those larger belts due to more power needed to spin them. If you really think you want to try to re engineer it at least try to go in a positive direction and either use a cog belt or a multi-V like the serpentine one on cars. Those have much less power loss compared to V belts

Actually, didn't know there was a recommended belt size. Just figured more contact area was better. Also, I was up at Sid's seminar and the belkts looked wider than A on the rebuild we did. But, your logic is understandable. Thanks

I answered your question , but I agree with the two post above.When I build a 25LG I prefer to use coged belts. old stye use 19LG100. That will have a pitch diameter of 2.268 . They are available In 1 tooth increments to 22 tooth then in 2 tooth jumps. If someone insists on V belts I recomend 11/2 hp 2 a belts. I also have shipped several with a 3 inch wide flat belts. Flat gives lots more surface area with low belt tension

So even though the cogged belt doesn't have as much surface area and obviously no teeth to engage on the pulley it works better than two A belts?
BTW, is this a picture of the gear for a cogged belt?

post-231-0-83409600-1332730739_thumb.jpg

Yes that is a cog belt pulley. It does work very well. Contact area is about 9.4 square inches for cogged 11.5 for 2 A belts not really that
much difference. If you get oil on he pully I think the cogged belt handles it better.

The thing with V belts is that the belt grips by wedging itself into the pulley. It takes HP to constantly be wedging/un-wedging the belt as the pulley turns. The cog belt looses about no HP this way and the multiV (serpentine) belts do not eat much HP either. This is one reason why cars have moved away from V belts- HP loss = more fuel used.