I Forge Iron

First forge

newbie37

newbie37,I picked up one almost identical to that for $50. Cleaned it up and put a little oil in the blower and has been going strong for five years now. Mine was found in a farmers field and I did all the clean up so you can probably expect to pay a bit more for that one.

I believe there's been a significant rise in the price of coal forges in the past 5-6 years, like on the order of $50 (I purchased 2 of them for this, 1 CL, 1 in Person) to starting at around $250. Only speaking of complete setups with the blower here.

Anvils have gone up over the years, and in some ways their prices are even worse considering their material/labor costs.

That looks like it might be s 20th Century U.S. Army blacksmith forge. If you are into historic collectable or even attending early 20th Century military living history, and the forge was in excellent condition, then it would be a good deal for you. There has been previous discussions on 20th century military forges, I don't remember if this one was WWI or WWII.

I agree 100% with stewart, if you PAY GOOD MONEY for somthing you are more likley to get a GOOD QUALITY TOOL, and you will respect it better because you had to WORK for it and not pay pocket change for a XXXX forge/anvil that you wont respect to the same degree