I Forge Iron

Sculptural Bronze Plough

myloh67

theres something i Realy like about this one - not sure - its the sweeping shapes, the texture, also the way its balanced - would truly like to see it from another angle. really great work myloh have not seen you post for a while, its nice to see what youve been up to :)

oh i love that!! bet its fabulous to handle... why is it hinged myloh? (scuse my ignorance of plow design..) love how youve got it supported, im just really enjoying this piece! adore the long scythe like handle shape.. its beautiful :) thanks for sharing the work :)

oh i love that!! bet its fabulous to handle... why is it hinged myloh? (scuse my ignorance of plow design..) love how youve got it supported, im just really enjoying this piece! adore the long scythe like handle shape.. its beautiful :) thanks for sharing the work :)

its like something, that i cant put my finger on, maybe like weighing scales and nutcrackers and a claw like sickel, its very cool. how did you make the wheel?

I was interested in the shape of a calipers initially and started out with this in mind, changes took place... A sculptor of metal told me once that "you imprison your work when you've drawn it".
The wheel took time, square bar forged into half round for tyre forged spokes tig welded to square punched hub and soldered to tyre, my god I did that, must be losing the plot!!

woah. you really did do that!! i thought maybe you cast that bit- b. nora, a labour of love. well, yes i have to agree, i never plan a sculpture with a drawing either, becasue i would feel that its not worth doing if you already know the ending! i absolutely agree. its more a case of having a few feelings and imagineings to begin with maybe, or some aims of a loose nature! lots of variables. hard to put into words. i find this medium difficult (impossible at present!?) to sculpt in which is why i tend to try to do decorative stuff. i am not proificcient enough with the methods to be as expressive as i would want to, yet , like you Clearly are. i think your work is inspiring and imagery provoking :)!! a good friend of mine once told me to Chill out and stop fretting, that this was not my only means of expression as an artist, and i had to expect/accept it to take some real time to become fluent in the language of the metal. i think this was great advice and has enabled me to relax and really enjoy the process of learning what the metal will do. you have got some really clear expressive language going on with this piece and the ox too, i hope your v pleased with the work?

yes that is the truth regarding scale, it gets much harder to wing the entire thing in any material once you start getting larger, but the journey can still have elements that are surprising i hope?

woah. you really did do that!! i thought maybe you cast that bit- b. nora, a labour of love. well, yes i have to agree, i never plan a sculpture with a drawing either, becasue i would feel that its not worth doing if you already know the ending! i absolutely agree. its more a case of having a few feelings and imagineings to begin with maybe, or some aims of a loose nature! lots of variables. hard to put into words. i find this medium difficult (impossible at present!?) to sculpt in which is why i tend to try to do decorative stuff. i am not proificcient enough with the methods to be as expressive as i would want to, yet , like you Clearly are. i think your work is inspiring and imagery provoking :)!! a good friend of mine once told me to Chill out and stop fretting, that this was not my only means of expression as an artist, and i had to expect/accept it to take some real time to become fluent in the language of the metal. i think this was great advice and has enabled me to relax and really enjoy the process of learning what the metal will do. you have got some really clear expressive language going on with this piece and the ox too, i hope your v pleased with the work?

I agree with your friend, being open to possibilities is by far the best way to engage with the material from a learning perspective. From mistakes made comes the mother of invention. I am pleased with the work although not completely, I am still searching, making mistakes, and aspiring to realize realms that are out there. What materials have you worked with in the past prior to forging ?

yes its the Process that is ultimately interesting i think, rather than the finished piece, for the maker of it, anyway! i have worked in clay wax plaster paper all things that i find i like really or happen to have about theplace - nothing on a huge scale, and i sell very little!! am currently having some small work cast in bronze. i LOVE the sound feel whole experience of hollow metal form... i used to do alot of ceramic work, which is why i think i still enjoy the vessel like nature of a cast bronze shpae. like a bell... :) dont get me started i could waffle on for ages and bore the pants off you all! when the waxes ive just put in are done i will post some for periphery interest - its still metal isnt it? at the moment im also working on some hammered lead shapes kind of very simple dished shapes really, and alsodraw continually in many ways, i love it all to be honest, also keen on setting mud into shape, mixed with various things. i just love metal though, what you can do, what it will be like for you!
as for mistakes being mother of invention, thats so true - its the fresh surprise and unexpected nature of following your nose thats the real gift! Love it!

chyan - i did once to an iron pour actually with some other people, and they actually built the furnace, from scrap, on site, it was brilliant and i TOTALLY loved it, also i have had lots of involement years ago at art college where i did sculpture and amoungst all the nonsense actualluy learned a little bit about casting :) actually i have a little gas crucible that ive had for a while actually, and appalingly it needs a new nozzle and ive not got round to it - a school were chucking it out.... so yes it does cross my mind, but, ive only a limited a,mount of time to do ANY of this (many of you will have heard me monaning on about this... ;) ) as i have three children and only get 'in between school runs' to do any of my work. it is def a thought for the future though, becasue the process interest s me hugely. i have to say that mould making is a bit of a bore though... bit frustrating....
do you have involvement with casting then?

Chuckle . . . I know the "in between school runs" thing . . . my two kids set the schedule around here. Do give some thought to setting up your equipment though. Even if you're just doing quick sand mold pours, there's a lot of satisfaction in owning the whole process.

I've been working with a sculptor for 13 years. We do large scale bronze abstracts. We typically pour 400 lb crucibles. An average pouring session will total close to a ton in a day. Google James Lee Hansen Sculptor - he does some great pieces.

BTW, I agree with you . . . . mold making is a bore!

i cannot believe what i have just asked you - now ive payed attention to your avatar.... wot a dimbo i am.!
yes i understand the Own The Process thing - a total dream :) Autonomy :) please if you have any time to do it, could you post some pictures of the sculptures, id love to see them

and also i cant believe i seem to have hijacked your thread myloh for which you have my sincerest apologies and the sound of me leaving the area!........