I Forge Iron

Forge basics

Kisten

So I'm pretty new to all of blacksmithing. I'm trying to gather up as much information as I possibly can. Well at this EXACT moment, I'm wanting anything and everything I can figure out on just the basics of forges. This is vague and broad on perpose. If it has anything to do with forges.... I want to know abou it. So think of something you're wondering if I want to know about... If it has to do with forges.... Then the answer is "Yes, please tell me about that." I want to learn it all. This is just to be related to forges that use coal as a fuel.

It is all written down in the forums here, just settle down and read through them, they are often repeated due to posts like this, no point in making more to trawl through, the effort you put into the reading will pay rewards and answer your question(s), any specific questions arising then can be asked and answered.

Enjoy your journey into 'smithing

I notice that you have posted these "the basics" posts in something like a half-dozen (OK, maybe not a half-dozen, but at least three) different forums here. There's nothing wrong with asking questions; that's what this website is about. But your approach seems to be to sit back and expect everyone to spoon feed you, without having to do any work on your end. That's . . . a little misguided.

John's advice is very good. Start reading up on topics that you want to learn about. It's all here already. There's a search function, and the sticky posts at the top of each forum are a good place to start. Once you have specific questions about things you don't understand, by all means ask. But you have to be willing to pull at least a little bit of your own weight. People will be more willing to help you if they see that you're making a good faith, active effort to go out and find what you want to know.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, I probably shouldn't say it's all here. There's a tremendous amount of information here. However, it does tend to be a little scattered. You might learn faster if you picked up a book or two that present the basics in an organized, comprehensive fashion. One of my favorites is The Complete Modern Blacksmith, by Alexander Weygers. Weygers assumes his readers really don't know anything, and also that they don't want to spend a lot of money to get started. That makes it a wonderful book for beginners, in my view.

And if you are in the USA you can usually ILL, Inter Library Loan, books that your local library doesn't have.

Last time I needed to; they charged me US$1 per book, I got to keep it for 3 weeks and I could check out books from over 90 other libraries including universities and big city libraries!

It's a great way to preview books you are thinking about buying.