I Forge Iron

Howdy from Texas

Irish1111

My name is Eric and I'm a former police officer and soon to be former pipeline surveyor....lol.
I'm 42 and just getting started in blacksmithing. I've made enough and saved enough to finally follow a passion to work metal. I've put the wife through college and she is on her way. I'm finished for good in the oil fields come the end of summer Im off for some formal education of my own in the ancient craft of metallurgy.

I'm glad I found this site. Lots of fantastic insight and information. I look forward to getting to know you folks and learning as I go along. Fire and iron makes starting life over not so scary.
Thanks in advance for allowing me to join.

EC

Eric,
Where in Texas are you. I am in South Texas. There are some great Blacksmith groups that will take good care of you. Balconies Forge will be working the forge the week of spring break with our meeting on Saturday March 17. We will. Have our big demo in. Early May with Elizabeth Brim to demo. This will be a good one.
Jerry

Hey Jerry.
Good to meet ya brother. I'm in Austin and moving out to Leander come June, just as soon as this final job is done. I've been looking at some classes in blacksmithing as well as bladesmithing. I'm thinking of Mr Turney's course as a starting point and then grabbing some courses in Arkansas that are blade specific. At this point in life I'm simply looking forward to doing my own thing. As I get proficient and am fortunate enough to make a little money then great. If I never do, then thats fine too. Its a set of skills that can never be taken away and it's up to me to make it or break it.
Thanks for the information! Looks like some solid folks out there sharing and learning.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! If you will update your profile and give your general location wil can help you with meeting notices, tools, and the like that come up in your area. Also, you are in the midst of some fantastic blacksmiths! check this site; balconesforge.org it is the ABANA chapter in your area and they meet every month and newbies are encouraged. Great way to meet fellow addics and find toys, and get some hands on help from experienced smith.

Mr. Turley is the Granddaddy of the blacksmith schools! you will do good by learning from him. Also, there is the Gunter's school in Moriarty, NM and Brian Brazeal teaches in Miss. Personnaly, I am trying to scheduale some classes with Brian Brazeal as he is only 4 1/2hrs from me.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

If you are serious about working as a blacksmith, Frank Turley's school is probably the best foundation there is here in the States! The ABS School in Texarkana is a great way to get bladesmithing specific classes as an overlay too.

Let us know when you get out this way and we can tell you if SWABA has anything going on while you are in NM!

Also give some thought to getting to Quad-State as it's a great place to learn, meet people and tool up!---I drive out from NM whenever I can to attend so TX is not too far!