I Forge Iron

Setting Up A Business Questions???

All of that is true, but i'd like a unique name!

I think I may have found one. I was looking at Saxon Gods, as i'm interested in that anyway!
The smith God Volundr (Weiland in Old English) is already taken. Weiland had no apprentice sadly.

Then I found some of the other Saxon Gods. Ermunaz (Eormen in Old English) was a God meaning strong, or whole. Thats how blacksmithing makes me feel, so Eormenforge.co.uk or eormensmithy.co.uk it is likely to be.

Or I could go for Thunorforge.co.uk. Thor's name in Anglo-Saxon.

Owen - Though I do agree with you that gimicks are not really important, I do want something memorable.
I definately agree that a customer is buying into the smith as well. To that end I am hoping to keep my website full of interesting information and updates. I will probably keep a sort of blog section and keep adding many pictures.
A facebook page would probably be useful as well. Anything like that is essentially free advertising, even if it is slightly time consuming to keep up together.
I want people to feel like they are getting a personal touch to their items. I want people to think they know a bit about me as well. I think a good website and customer care etc, will be the breaking of a business, rather than smithing ability.

I'm certainly naive when it comes to running a business, including the laws but it seems only sensible to me that artvertising and keeping customers happy will be the majority of the battle.

Feel free to put me right! More than willing to eat a whole bucket full of humble pie!

i think there is truth in that tom, and customers are not always focusing on what you think they are - for example, its a little different, but in our previous tree work business, we could do the most fancy and difficult, dangerous work on a tricky tree, and do a cracking job, but the bit they always noticed and raved about was the Really good tidy up job we always did.. whilst the bsmithing skills are a big part of the job, i think things like personableness and individuality, and other things in your own personality are also your unique selling points or whatever that stuff is called. !! owens name is very memorable for some reason, its very simple and scans well, being two four letter words :) im not sure everyones is that good though. i always just use my own name, beth forrester, which ironically was much better suited to the tree work :) i think you need to use what you are comfortable with, and remember its never set in stone, you can change your mind... unless you go and have a load of stationary and sign writing etc printed up...

Might just go for my name!
I've done some searches and there are no things near it. I think that would probably be sensible, seeing as the medievil things I am interested in, I currently can't make anyway.

Think thats the name sorted then. Just to set going on getting a wesbite now then!

• 2 weeks later...