I Forge Iron

Leaf key fobs and putting on a touch mark

Played around in the shop a little today. Wishing I had a whole lotta steel. Need to make a few tongs and leaf hammer. Did pretty good with the stuff that I had. Turned out 5 leaves, wife and kids are trying hard to claim them. Daughter might make a shop helper yet. Had her holding the leaf on the anvil so I could chisel in the veins. I like the shape and feel of the 1st, 3rd and 5th best.

post-15973-0-04751700-1330310733_thumb.jpost-15973-0-70234000-1330310736_thumb.jpost-15973-0-49525000-1330310740_thumb.j

I want to put my mark on them, but not entirely sure how to get it on the back and keep it there. Stamped the last on the back but it disappeared by the time the veins were in and the edges rippled a little. How do you guys go about stamping them or do you even worry about it. Is this a case of setting it on a wooden block and veining so the back isn't smoothed right out again?

post-15973-0-51093300-1330311438_thumb.jpost-15973-0-19556800-1330311434_thumb.j

I mark most of my leaves. I put my mark on the back before I texture (vien) the front. I make the mark deep, so when I texture the front, the mark isn't entirely washed out. You could try viening on a block of hardwood to preserve the mark, but if the mark is deep, I doubt it's necessary. After I texture the front of the leaf, I also turn it over onto a wooden swage and use a ballpien hammer to push the center of the face out.

Okay, Thanks guys. Gives me a direction to go. Just have to find time to get back out there and experiment a little more then.

The touch mark was pretty simple, used a letter stamp on the end of a piece of chisel material and then ground and filed the rest away. Pretty happy with it. Just have to remember to use it far more.