I Forge Iron

Big Ideas on a small scale

Hello.

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I have been reading the forums for a while and really want to get into metalworking as a hobby having seen an amazing casting and forging demonstration years ago. I am always designing and sketching objects and sculptures and want to start making them a reality.

Problem being though is space as I live in crowded suburbia. I want to start small and learn all the right techniques but wanted to ask if you guys can help me by advising me on the best way to set up a small casting set up, easy enough and safe enough to be used in a compact garden/deck area.

I want to start small by learning casting first and then move onto forging when am experienced enough.

What are the best tools to start with? I know you guys probably get asked this a lot so I am very appreciative.

Thanks a bunch

David

if you are very restricted with space you can do very small castings to learn the basics, like pewter or silver, which you can pretty much do in your garage (with proper ventilation), on your back porch or patio, or backyard. Perhaps start small and once you get the hang of it then you can decide whether you can "supersize it' safely within the parameters of your space, and move on to aluminum and brass/bronze/copper alloys.

Casting and forging have very little overlap. Experience in one will not get you very far in the other. I consider casting more dangerous though.

I've done forging in my basement using a 1 soft firebrick forge powered by a small propane plumber's torch.

All my casting I do outdoors. They make very nice electric units you can cast silver and bronze with---looks like a thermos. Me I stick a crucible in my coal forge...

Casting in itself is easy, melt the metal and pour it.

The problem come is making patterns and moulding the sand or doing the investment casting.

If you really want to to go that route I would recommend spend a lot of time learning how to make patterns and make sure you've got that right. Once you can make patterns a professional shop will for a reasonable fee cast it for you, since patternmaking is the most expensive part. And you don't have to worry about the dangerous bit.

Or you can do what I did: make a furnace and don't know what to do with the molten metal.