I Forge Iron

One that Got Away

So this came up for sale in San Diego this morning:

"This anvil has a long and colorful Kentucky (Bluegrass) history. It was used for blacksmithing (shoe-ing horses. I am 65 and used it in our barn back in Louisville; as did my father and grand father and his. It was weighed at 357lb. and takes three men to uncomfortably move it: downsizing and forced out of necessity to sell it. Make reasonable offer! Ed @ XXX-XXX-XXXX Anytime Its around 2 feet long and 10inches wide. Those are 8-10 lb. hand sledges at the base of it, and a large Porter Cable router in the cabinet- to give you an idea how-large it actually is."

He got $1200 for it. Buyer got a pretty good price in this neighborhood. Just having remodeled a house, I was only able to go to about $2/pound, so I was hoping to get a real deal to jump.

The guy said it was an International Harvester, produced for the Civil War. I don't know about that, and I don't recall IH in Anvils in America, but I could be mistaken. Looks like an old PW or Mousehole to me.

post-4661-0-04566200-1328825601_thumb.jp

post-4661-0-05532200-1328825606_thumb.jp

"In 1902, J.P. Morgan merged the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms, to form International Harvester" wikipedia

Who's civil war?

That looks much more like an older style British anvil to me, Mousehole or one of the 200+ others.

Thomas, don't put too much stock in my summary of the conversation. As soon as he said "International Harvester" I was thinking that he was full of it, so I didn't follw the next bits too closely. I may have misquoted him. Or he may just be that full of it.

But I totally agree with your assessment of the style of anvil.