I Forge Iron

my anvil stand

hear is a picture of my anvil stand. the stand is based off of mark aspery's tri-pod farriers stand. the turn buckels are great for anvil hold downs making a very solid base and for quick removal for transporting. there are hole in the feet to anchor to the shop floor or for stakes when doing outdoor demos.post-12147-0-63600400-1328710091_thumb.j

more power to ya jacques the legs are cut at 20 degree angles on top and bottom. they are 2" heavy wall tubing. they are cut based off the end hight i wanted the face of my anvil to be, my legs are 15" long. the square frame that the anvil block sits on is 12x12 and is 1 1/2" heavy wall tube. the block is 3"x12"x12 made from 3x1 elm glued together. there is a 1/2" 12x12 plate under it welded to the frame work. you don't need it though. i have 2 more just like it that don't have the plate. i lag or through bolt through the frame tubing. with the turn buckles lags work fine. they're just there to hold the block on to the frame if the anvil is not on it.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I made these from 25 x 25 square tube off-cuts I had, since the anvils are smallish (25 kg and 30 kg) it works well enough. Both stands is the same height, the wood adjust for the height difference. The chains are held with nuts on the threaded rod that also hold the wood to the stand. It is light enough to be carried around as is, so I didn't really made provision for easy removal. It can't really be seen on the picture, but there are plywood cut-outs on both sided of the anvils to make sure it cannot walk around.

post-5093-0-68634700-1329592460_thumb.jp

i really like the idea of the wooden inserts having recently switched hammers i found that my anvil stand is now about 1inch short for comfort and as it it entirely welded up i cant adjust it that easily with this set up i could just add a new slice of wood and be good to go same thing for when i have people drop buy now and then to work i could see this being the work of a 5min or so to set them up with the anvil at there preferred hight and that for a days work is not bad at all
i have long arms for my hight so as in i am 5ft11in and my wingspans is about 6ft4in so i am constantly dragging my knuckles around on the ground anyways