I Forge Iron

Another Mini Press

Mad Dawg

Heya Guys,

I finally made a mini press to make pattern welded steel for various projects. I copied many designes on the web and ended up having a friend weld it up... I didn't trust my welding skills.

Anyhow it's a 12 ton air over jack on an h-press. I also had many sets of dies made for different purposes. We didn't finish with enough time for me to heat up any metal. I had to go to work :*( .. but as a test I crushed some wood in it. I also "tested" the welds by letting the dies press against themselves at max strength. Everything seems nice and sturdy, though I'll keep an eye on it for the next few months just in case.

I tried to upload a video I took of the test runs, but they're too big or I'm doing something wrong... I will take pics tomorrow on the test run for metal. I will be trying to make a pattern welded billet from some scrap elevator cable. I'll try'n get several nice pics of the press to post as well. Work again tomorrow so pics may be next day.

I traded a tomahawk for the welding. Air jack was free and I paid around $65.00 dollars for all the metal. I am lucky enough to have access to a HUGE scrapyard, so my dies were made from scrap metal at little or no cost. The 2 inch tubing I bought new as well as the 2" steel plates for the dies and guides.

I am very excited. :)

Later,
Mark

it might be easer to just upload the video to youtube and then link to it
on the scrap yard front some of my happiest dreams were of "waking up to find that there was a big old scrap yard over the hill from me lol
(this might count as a you know your a blacksmith if.... moment)

Heya Guys,

Didn't take any pics today as usual... I was too busy testing out my press... I made several billets of cable damascus.. started pressing a stack of regular and chrome washers alternating... I even welded some small bandsaw blade pieces to some leaf spring pieces.. that was going well but I messed it up testing stuff. Overall, I am happy with the press. It looks like I'll be able to make pattern welded billets fine with it so I am happy, as that's all I wanted it for anyhow.

I took a pic with the cell phone once work was over. It's not a great pic but you get the idea....
post-15644-0-89481300-1328779606_thumb.j

My forge is in the pic as well. As you can tell I am much more for functionablility than looks.

I'll try'n be more picture friendly in the future... but I just don't think much about pictures when I'm making something.

Have a nice day all,
Mark

Hello Matto,

I made I handwritten list of items needed, but I basically just copied plans found here and other sites. I would do an "howto" on the press, but it's been done several times already. Just do a search for "mini press forge" on google. Read some and look at the pics. In the end, it's an easy build... just need some good welding skills. I would get the 20 ton jack over the 12.. but I cannot argue with free so mine is 12 ton.

Hope this helps,
Mark