I Forge Iron

Coal and its size?

Ok, they don't sell coal anywheres around here that I kinow of. I remembered a train wreck about a year ago that spilled its coal and it was only about 5 miles from me. So I went down the side of the tracks to the wreck site and picked up some. Alot the size of your fist. So what size should it be for forging? Size forge pan will be about 14-15 inch. I guess just bust it up with a hammer? I picked up about 60-80 lbs. I drive an official truck so no worries going to get it. Thanx, Cooter- Dennis

How in the xxxx do ya'll get it to burn????????????? I didn't bust it up, but I threw some in the pan and waded up newspaper and that didn't work, so I got out a small hand held propane torch,that didn't catch it up either. Was it just too big, or do I need a small bed of charcoal to get it going? Thanx,Cooter

there is coal and then there is coal. NORMALLY, train coal is junk from my experiences. It is free if you find it I guess from a wreck or ask permission to get it. Like Hollis sez, mostly either lignite or other low end. some has oil sprayed on it I think. Different needs for the powerplant industry.

cooter what you need to have to start coal up is a good heat source to begin with. I make a small fire in my firepot and let it burn until it has that nice roaring sound when you start the air. When the small fire gets going well enough, put broken up (i forgot to mention before you start break up what you plan on using) coals around the fire, and then put a handfull on top to keep the fire in. Start running the air (not too much air) and you should get big clouds of nasty green smoke. From there just keep adding coal until the coal is burning well, then I usually pat the fire down with a shovel lightly to fill in any gaps that the burning wood left. There you go, you got a fire :)

I use pre-coked coal, and I found it pretty hard to get going at first; if you use a wood fire to start it you should have no problem unless the fire isn't big enough.

Julian you mean smoke like this?

Cooter build a fire with sticks from the yard, a good fire a boy scout would be proud to call his own. Then add coal and let it catch fire, them more coal, keeping a hole in the top for the smoke and flame to escape. As the sticks burn out, knock the crust down into the fire and add more coal. Keep the air sufficient to keep the fire going and getting larger. Before long you have a good bed of coals and can start forging.

Ad to the lumps, break them up with a hammer. a good size for a forge is about the size of a walnut or ping-pong ball. Others use coal dust or fines. Moisten it with a little water so it will clump together.

Thanx for the input. I'll keep ya'll posted as to how well this stuff burns. I was gonna just burn some down to insulate my pan against the really hot fire when I get ready to run it.When I get it finished I'll post a couple of pics. I didn't put a stack on the hood, instead I cut a louver slot about 6" long and 1" wide and then welded a shield over it pointing out the back.But with that much smoke I don't think any size would be large enough, but maybe it will help after the first dies down. Thanx again, Cooter