I Forge Iron

Does anyone know of any grants that I should be looking out for. I have recently moved from London to a beautiful old forge on Gloucestershire, which is nice, but I am short of funds for filling it with the necessary equipment.
I have been poking around on the internet for funding, but would be very grateful if anyone were to be able to share knowledge or experience of acquiring funding for setting up a small business.
Thanks,
Dan

Crafts council used to do a start up fund, not sure if thats still going- last time I was looking into funding there was not a lot about- most of it stopped due to cuts to arts funding. Also go direct to your local council as they may have money set aside for projects like yours, always better chances if you can show some kind of investment in the community. Good luck.
also, try business link, which i'm sure if you're doing internet research is a starting point.

Prince's Trust are good on funding small businesses, but have age restrictions, they do grants and low cost loans, many new blacksmithing ventures have received their backing.

Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths may also be able to give some guidance as to where to get funding from, they also give grants and bursaries in some instances.

What equipment and tooling are you looking for? The Guild has some gear available for sale.

Thanks Colleen, yes, the cuts to arts funding are not good. Even before then it was easier (seemingly?) to get funding through the Arts Council than the Crafts Council, something about the Crafts Council not agreeing to pay for second hand machinery.

Beth- I am in a forge formerly occupied by Mark Farmer (RIP), outside of Winchcombe.

Prince's Trust are good on funding small businesses, but have age restrictions, they do grants and low cost loans, many new blacksmithing ventures have received their backing. Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths may also be able to give some guidance as to where to get funding from, they also give grants and bursaries in some instances. What equipment and tooling are you looking for? The Guild has some gear available for sale.

Thanks for the reply, John.
I'm unfortunately too old for the Prince's Trust by a good margin!
I hadn't thought about the WCB, would it be possible for you to give me a contact for them?
The gear I'm looking for is mainly on the fabrication side and 3 phase; plasma cutter, mig, compressor, heavy-duty abrasive wheels, etc. etc. I'm also missing some of the basic forging stuff, and it all adds up.
What do the Guild have for sale? Is there a website?
Many Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,
WCB website here http://www.blacksmithscompany.org.uk/index.shtml Guilds website here http://blacksmithsguild.com/ we have various smithing tools for sale, but not much in the line of Three phase equipment for fabrication.

For used tools try here http://www.iemuk.com/ or go to your local auctioneers and see if they have any liquidation/bankruptcy sales or local machine tool suppliers from your yellow pages

Sorry can't be of more help at the moment.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.
-Beth, yes, I'm at Didbrook Forge. It is still being re-wired at the moment but I'll be properly moved in in a week or two. Feel free to pop by.
-John, is there an individual that I could contact at the WCB? I have come to a few dead ends when trying to contact the Company in the past.
Many Thanks,
Dan