I Forge Iron

Cannedy Otto Drill Press

I wen to check out the stuff on the block tomorrow night. (Up for auction) Their happened to be a rather large drill press. Turns out to be a Cannedy Otto drill press. Looks like a camelback, but doesn't have all the extra gee-gaws attatched to it. Just a huge drill press with a 3 barrel (speed/pulleysystem). I found one thing wrong with it, and that was the mount that holds the table crank onto the main shaft isbrazed back together. THe braze is broken but the part still should move freely if it were degreased. What could she be worth? No picture of it. Looks sort of like this one without the 6 speed pulley setup. The one I found is a 3 speed. How much could she be worth? rockford04.jpg

Well its all a matter of what youre willing to pay.

I love camelback drill presses, and I though I was getting a deal on one for $150. after 4 plus months of taking apart spraying in penetrating oil and just general futzing I no longer think it was a deal. I originally thought mine had auto down feed...which after more research is missing many of the parts. So what did I do I bought another two full sized ones and a little baby camelback press. All this said I would not pay more than $75 for all that rust. When I find one (working) with all the parts for back gearing and auto feed Id give up to $300 for it and still expect to do a bit of work to it. I need to find a home for 3 other camelbacks first...

Aaron

Wise words from Aaron. I wouldn't give more than $ 50.- . One of the things we do is repair or rebuild mechanical items. Sometimes we forge parts or braze old ones. If I had space, I might buy the press in the snow and haul it to a warm shop. Get a can of Kroil and spray it down good, Free up what wood free up and go from there. Good chance the parts may need a bit of heat. This is not a small undertaking but you may really be surprised on the outcome. the car wash might be the first stop. Best wishes and good luck.

It isn't the one in the picture, That was a picture from google. THe one I found is basically the drill press, an ancient maytag motor. none of the added stuff. Just the crank to go down, and thats it. I just need a bigger drill press to work around instead of my little tiny tabletop one