I Forge Iron

Farrier forge?

Legg86

Hey guys, I have absolutely zero experience. Like, none. I built a "little" charcoal forge and got some iron hot enough to bang on, and it was huge fun, but now I'm looking at a gas farrier forge on Craigslist and I was hoping to get a little info on dual burner forges in general, specifically "farrier" forges. Will they get hot enough for small projects? I'll post the brand of the forge as soon as the seller tells me.

Hey bud, no worries about getting hot enough. Farrier forges need to get up to welding temp for some of the shoes we make, a TON of knife makers use them because of the compact design and efficiency. Post some more info and Ill give you my thoughts if I have used that model/brand if not there are a ton of burner experts on here that can give you more technical info.

Also! Welcome to IFI and if you get a chance you might want to update your profile location, you might find someone near your location that can offer more assistance~

I've crawled under more than 10,000 head of horses so I guess I was a farrier... Any forge labeled as a "farrier" forge should be fully capable of raising steel to a welding heat as forge welding is part of the job. Should be sufficient for ANY thing you want to do as long as it will fit in the forge...
OOPS guess Wesley and I must have pushed the button at the same time!!!!!There you have it....

Lol ok thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'll update as soon as I find out more info on it, all I have right now is a picture. When buying a used gas forge, is there anything I should look out for or be wary of? Any advice at all would be very welcome.

There are a few farrier forges that struggle to weld in. Look for an insulated door The ones that have a sheet metal door with no insulation may give yoiu more of a challenge when you try and learn to weld. And for sure make sure it comes with an adjustable regulator and hose for the lpg set up. Those are pricey.

several good choices..All will weld and then some..just in case your interested..My wife uses a 2x burner blacksmith model and it will melt steel but aint easy on gas when your running real hot..I prefer to weld in coal but that open ended gasser sure is handy for some things..
http://www.diamondba...age/2754775.htm
http://www.riverside.../item15873.ctlg
http://hightemptools.com/forges.html