I Forge Iron

Little Giant question

Got a question on the Little Giant hammer, is there any advantage to having both arms "adjustable"? The hammer in question is a very late new style, came from the factory with both toggle arms with the adjustment "screw". Im just wondering if there are any advantages in being able to adjust spring tension from both sides???

No, as far as the hammer goes. I would guess maybe whoever assembled the hammer had 2 right arms and didn't know the difference. The last few hammers were assembled by people who didn't know the hammers very well. It will not hurt anything either.

I'm not to sure, but I'm pretty sure, (not sure sure, but sure) that there is a reason. I vaguely recall there being something mentioned about it in the Little Giant videos, about how to make your own adjustable arms. Someone out there should know. (maybe...not sure)

My 100# hammer was sold new in the seventies and came with two toggle arms with the adjustable screw where the spring attaches. I see no advantage with two. Two adjustable knuckles on older style hammers is advantageous, in that you can equalize the lenght of each toggle link.
Dan

Got the hammer home, looks like it was purchased for maybe 1 job then put up. Other then the rust from being outside it was in about new condition. I disassembled the top end and going to paint/lube everything up and get it running hopefully by the weekend. The only "issue" was some pitting on the shaft where water obviously weeped through the oil holes onto the bare shaft... over the years cuasing pitting. Im going to clean those areas up a bit so they wont dig into the babbit much.

The xxxx crosshead bolt is froze, its the only bolt I couldnt get loose... will give it a try again today.

Double adjustable arms on my old 25LG help keep it coming down balanced. It didn't come with two. After-market rebuild.

I'm not to sure, but I'm pretty sure, (not sure sure, but sure) that there is a reason. I vaguely recall there being something mentioned about it in the Little Giant videos, about how to make your own adjustable arms. Someone out there should know. (maybe...not sure)

It makes a difference on the old style hammers, but Not the new style...All it's doing on the new style is adjusting spring tension.