I Forge Iron

5 lb hammer

Francis Trez Cole

post-4954-0-94773800-1318893796_thumb.jp post-4954-0-60819000-1318893864_thumb.jp post-4954-0-95652700-1318893913_thumb.jp post-4954-0-95652700-1318893913_thumb.jp post-4954-0-84293200-1318893996_thumb.jp
Francis, I would not call this my method. The way I make hammers is an old method. I don't know where or when it came from. I started making hammers the way I have been making them after spending time with Alfred Habermann. Alfred did not make hammers like this, but he did make top tools and smaller repouse hammers like this. I did change alot of the tooling and make larger hammers in a similar fashion. The style of hammer that I make is an old style, and it is all about " the house for the handle", as Alfred would say. (forging "cheeks" so you have more surface area contact with the handle to take stresses away from the handle) This is very important with top tools that put alot of stress on the handle. There are few hammers and top tools that retain this feature today, but the ball peen (even though they may not be forged, still retain this feature). This method is just like any other well thought out forging, where you devide up the metal in smaller isolated areas and move the metal with smaller surface area contact. Hince, the division of the cheeks from the faces, which I see no evidence in the hammer that you posted. I would be glad to come back down there and spend more time with you to more fully illustrate these points. I was only able to demonstrate about a half of a day when I was there, and I know this is not enough time to absorb all the information I talked about. Here are some hammer examples of what I am talking about, and please feel free to call me for any questions you may have.

well Brian I would love to have you come back down. I do under stand all that you have said I used your method to punch the eye and drift the whole. My style is not the same as yours I spread the cheeks some enough to fit the handles I am using. It i not as dramatic as yours that is for sure. It is hard working alone so I had to modify the design to fit my needs. Your style is impressive and some day I will hope to achieve half of what you do.