I Forge Iron

I just purchased a 25 Ib Little Giant along with Dave Manzer's 2 videos on tuning the Little Giant and Tooling for the LG. The problem I am having, after turning it on for the first time, is that I have to press my pedal all the way to the ground to get the clutch to engage. By the time it engages my pedal is pressed so far that my dies each other, rather than slowly descending. SO, I am not a very good mechanic and I don't have anyone local to ask about this, but I am guessing my clutch is not engaging because all the grabby stuff that should be on it has worn away. Can anyone help me identify this as the problem and tell me how to fix it?

Sounds like rod going from pedal to clutch arm is simply too long. No need to remove it to start with,just heat a six inch section with your torch and shorten it up by putting a kink in it. Probably against Sid's Rules but it worked for me. First I'd give Sid a call. He is absolutely gracious about talking you through LG problems. call: Sid Suedmeier at 402-873-6603
His Website: http://www.littlegianthammer.com/index.html

Linkage may or may not be the prob. If it has the wooden blocks on the clutch they may have worn to where they don't engage properly. You can shim under them some or purchase new blocks from Sid. I'm sure Phil Cox will chime in here and he is a master with LGs. Heed his advice!

Where are you located? You may be surprised as to how many smiths could be in your area... Just update your profile and give your location. Helps us by knowing where folks are as we can usually put them in touch with a local ABANA affiliate or local blacksmith group for hands on help.

HWooldridge: Is it a rear flywheel or center type?
How do I tell if the flywheel is rear or center. I have included some photos of my LG in my gallery, hopefully they will help answer this question.

Thomas Dean: Linkage may or may not be the prob. If it has the wooden blocks on the clutch they may have worn to where they don't engage properly. You can shim under them some or purchase new blocks from Sid.
How would I know if there were originally wooden blocks or not?? Again, hoping the photos in my gallery help.

Peacock: your dies what each other? hit hard, miss? How far apart are your dies at bottom dead center? How tall is the top and bottom die? Does your hammer have wood blocks, fiber lining, or is it metal to metal clutch? Need lots more info?
Hoping the photos in my gallery help with this too, looks like the dies are well apart at rest, about 8 inches? Each die protrudes about 2 inches from the machine? As far as the clutch goes, I can see remnants of some sort of fiber lining, but only on the edge farthest from the metal piece that spins and engages when the pedal is pressed (closest to the front of the machine).

Alright, apparently I cannot figure out how to post images. Can someone please tell me how to look for clues that my LG had wooden blocks, fiber, or just metal to metal contact. I have oiled it well and it will not engage at all when i push the pedal down. It seems like to be moving properly when I push the pedal down, but just not catching on anything. Would the be a sign that it should have wooden blocks or fiber? Again, I do see a thin (3/4") strip if fiber on the clutch closest to the front of the LG.
I need to identify if it should have some fiber or blocks replaced. Then I need to figure out how to do it.
I am in Gainesville, Fl.

dont take this wrong, but you should really find some one in your area to go over the hammer with you. They are very simple hammers but it sure is nice to have an experienced user right there with you going through not only the ins/outs of the hammer, but the actual capabilities of the hammer. Some of the early clutches were metal/metal, most had wood blocks that may have later been modified with an assortment of material between the wood/steel.

From what you describe it sounds like clutch blocks are just worn too far down to do there job.

If you send me the pics I will post them for you, matt@lameycustomknives.com

These are clutch blocks, on a new style 100# hammer. You can see them numbered 1,2,3, on the rear of the hammer. The orientation on an older hammer will be different. And last an old style 50# hammer clutch with linning.
Dan

post-13715-0-67717100-1318372871_thumb.j

post-13715-0-27164800-1318374516_thumb.j