I Forge Iron

Tough day today.

Well, I had a tough day today. I haven't forged in awhile. I just moved into this house a couple of months ago and it took time to get settled and fired up.

My hands are like hamburger and I can't bend a nice, big scroll freehand. I tried it over and over and over and I flat out just stunk today. So, I'm a little disgusted with myself. Anyone else ever have that problem?

Well, I guess I'll go drink a few beers, soak my hands in some ice, and get back to it in a few days.

rvb

Rick, when I'm having trouble pushing a scroll around the way I want it, it usually helps me to draw it full-sized flat on a piece of steel or something and take my sweet time with it, using as many heats as I please and laying the piece against the drawing regularly. If I'm in that kind of mode I will often stick another piece or two into the gasser so I can use my time more effectively, but I will keep hacking away at the scroll. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, T-Gold. That does help a bit. I think I just broke one of Paw-Paw's 10 commandmants, though. Don't work tired!

I was exhausted and frustrated and should have quit. The great thing about iron is that I can go back to it when I'm ready and bang the scroll out and start over. :)

rvb

RICK sounds like you may be squeezing your hammer handle a way too hard.

A few days ago I jerked a pad off my middle hammer finger, on a poly rope and a stout colt. Yesterday and this morning, I am using it with just a bandaid. That is how lighly I squeeze a hammer. :wink:

Don't give up, just lighten up on yourself. HAVE fun and stay in there.

Chuck

In the climbing world when we have a bad day it is called a "high gravity" day. When my hammer refuses to behave I call it a good "scrap making" day. As long as I learn something even the scrap days are good days.