I Forge Iron

How to mount a post vise?

Rick Barter

I have a post vise that I need to mount. I don't have a work bench or anything yet. I have a concrete floor in the barn, but I need to move the tractor and various vehicles in and out so my "shop" is all portable for the time being.

Anyone have any ideas or drawings?

rvb

A tripod out of heavy angle iron works well in a portable application. You make a truncated cone (top is flat) and put a plate there to attach the vise. It would be even better if you could also drill some holes in the slab and epoxy in some threaded sockets to match feet on the tripod. That way, it can be bolted down for really heavy twisting or bending but still moved when need be.

One way is to use a 55 gallon drum, fabricate a mount for the vise and then fill the drum with water after it is placed where you want it. Also makes it relatively portable for away demonstrations. Another mounting method involves getting a truck rim for a base, welding a vertical pipe or pipes and then topping with a steel plate to mount your vise to. A third involves builing a tripod stand like the old pipe vises were mounted on.

Important to decide what you are going to be doing with the vise. I mean are you going to be hammering metal held in the vise, trying to twist a five foot bar, grinding, welding or what? This affects how secure the want the vise.

you dont give the size of the vice,heavy 6 ins and over fix to a rail iron set in the shop with room all round ,,the smaller vices fix to a small bench or the forge ,i have never liked a vice fixed to a forge the work in the fire catches on it ,and wilst working at the vice tools get buried in the forge coals, still some like it

The vise is mounted on an old gauge wheel from an IHC breaking plow - it weighs over 60# alone. The pipe is 1/4" wall boiler tube. In five minutes, it breaks down to three separate parts, so as to make it easier for travel.

vise01.jpg