I Forge Iron

What treatment/finish on standing coat rack

Just finished this large standing coat rack, mig welds have been hidden with 1/4" round wraps.
This makes for a lot of hard to reach places and I don't have a sandblaster.
My usual treatment for ironwork is the traditional beeswax/oil, etc... mix but since the coat rack will be subject to occasional wet coats I thaught satin acrylic crystal clear spray would be stronger for this kind of treatment.
I am not done with the cleaning up/sanding but I don't see how I will be able to reach those isolated details.

Finally here's my question :
Will the acrylic clear spray be able to dry and protect on those unreachable places with heat colors/oxidation or should I go with my beeswax/oil mix
If you have other solutions, please send them my way !
Thanks !
Naz

post-8684-0-10348600-1314221441_thumb.jp

post-8684-0-06168500-1314221462_thumb.jp

post-8684-0-96051200-1314221489_thumb.jp

Naz,

Very nice work and and evenly balanced for a free standing piece.

I find that the acrylics dont hold up to abrasion and after a period they start to look nicked. If its an interior piece, use the time honored beeswax and linbseed oil combo with a touch of turpentine. Applied to warm iron a few times it is very servicable for many years. In regard outside use, I find you have to paint it.

Peter

Looks nice and a half Naz. My only concern would be someone getting poked by one of the lower elements but they don't look all that sharp.

You could treat the areas that will trap water with Naval Jelly and clean it off the parts that show. The black phosphate will put a pretty serious damper on rust for quite a while and a wax oil finish over that should last a good long time and refinishing isn't too hard.

I have some pieces that have been mounted to walls outside with a soot/parafin wax finish for around 13 years with no rust but they're low wear. Plant hangers mostly.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks guys, I used wire brushes, sandpaper, etc... and cleaned the best I could.
Then I gave it the traditional beeswax/oil finish making sure it went in every hard to reach places.
I think it will be OK for a long while.

Naz