I Forge Iron

Sick of limbo, starting a stump Anvil project

So, rather then sit idle for the next unspecified time period waiting for corporate HQ to figure out when, where, and for how long our next assignment will be; I decided to try and arrange a small knife maker's anvil that will pass a shipping company's muster or can be disguised as a block of art. Something that can be used and easily transported.

My first thought was a plate 200mm x 450mm x 450mm (roughly 8" x 18" x18"). But it seems there is only medium carbon steel plate in the market @ 200mm and it's 11,380 rand for that block. That's about $1,600. :blink: Not feasible. Then I thought about the anvils used in the far east, and stump anvils. Both are small, easily moved and small. So if I got a small block (say 100mm x 100mm x 200mm or 4" x 4" x 8") and built a tough little stump to mount it on, it would be something to start on. Add in some hard facing rod and it's a project worth pursuing.

My goals here are 1. a small, portable anvil to gain experience on 2. a larger then normal stump, that can share duty with a vise for filing 3. figure out how to arc weld and 4. spend as little money as possible.

I've made some calls, and there are pictures and video on the way. I hope this works out as well as it looks in my head. Wish me luck!

or tell me I'm loosing it. Especially if I really am.

Edit: I changed the ' into ", so that I'm not talking about 4 feet, rather 4 inches.

I have an appx 4"x4"x4" stump anvil of hardened 4140 and it's a sweet anvil to use. Weighs about 25 pounds but we use it as if it was much heavier.

I would try to get a medium carbon steel and HT it over hardfacing it (might be cheaper too as HF is $$$). Can you find a damaged forklift tine and get material from that?

Thomas, I'm getting a lot of contacts very fast in the scrap metal industry here. Half of that is because I'm an American, and half because people think I'm crazy and take pity on me. So, I'm peeling back a layer of industry/society I haven't seen before, and I'm liking what I am seeing. Forklift tines, cables, chains are going to pop up in my meanderings; I'm sure of that. But, strangely, when I was looking for them I got nowhere. Now that I have jumped into this project, suddenly doors are popping open left and right.

I went with hard facing because it's 61 rand for 1 1/2 kilos of hard facing rod. that's like $9 for 3.5 lbs of rod. I got a quote today, and ordered the 4" x4" x8" mild plate (A36 I think), for 420 rand. That's $60. $70 is my total investment so far. The medium carbon plate for the same size was quoted near $400. I would love to one day have a properly hardened and tempered anvil of the same size. As well the ability and space to do it. But I can't argue with the $70.

I have a quick video rendering as I type, and I hope to have it up on youtube tonight. And then in the morning after some errands, get started on the stump.