I Forge Iron

Mannum Museum Forge

Hi All,
Just a note to let everyone know that the wheels are turning on the building of a new forge area at the Mannum Museum.
After meeting with the representatives of the museum today, they are very keen to have our members attend the forge and
promote black smithing to their visitors. The museum is located close to the edge of the river, so forging in summer will be a pleasant breeze, if you'll pardon the pun.
Anyway, when news comes to hand I'll keep you posted. I'm in the throes of getting a page added to the Country Forge section of our website.

Cheers,
Rob Kenning

Hi Mark and George,

The Mannum Dock museum is located at the riverside town of Mannum on the banks of the Murray River in South Australia.

I have just updated our website http://www.artistblacksmithsa.org.au/Mannum_Museum_Forge.html with information on the site. The museum also has a website

http://www.psmarion.com/ that details their activities.

As far as blacksmithing goes, it has a lot of potential, as Mannum does see a lot of tourist activity throughout the year.

Anyway, have a look at the sites as there are a few photos posted. Once the forge is up and running, I will be doing an article in our newsletter.

Regards,
Rob Kenning
Secretary
A.B.A.S.A.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I am happy to report that progress at Mannums Museum is progressing at a good clip and the framework of the forge is nearing completion. The reason for the long delay is that

the museum experienced problems in hiring a builder. They now have a local builder contracted to follow on with the construction, and he is doing a marvellous job so far. Myself

and the President of A.B.A.S.A paid a visit today to advise on equipment location within the forge area and touch on a few points to do with ventilation and fencing off the forge.

The forge area is approximately 18' x 12' and should accommodate two blacksmiths quite easily. The museum has rounded up post vices, 2 bellows, an anvil and a forge.

I happen to have a good sized cast iron buffalo forge I'm donating so we will have two forges.

QDKsi.jpg WQNh6.jpg

Anyway, I'll follow up in a few weeks when we are ready to fit it out.

Regards,

Rob Kenning

Secretary
Artist Blacksmiths Association South Australia

Looks great Rob.
In fact I'm kinda' jealous because you can design the best layout for demos to crowds, lessons and display. So many other smithys at heritage 'villages' are historic buildings that don't allow the most useful arrangement.
The immovable brick forges are usually in the worst position, stuff (and the demonstrator) are often to far away from the fence to the public, line of sight / angles are wrong.
The most annoying is that usually there isn't enough room for a decent crowd to hang about and watch, one place I know of fits 8 spectators, the rest have to move on. This is a missed opportunity in cold or wet weather when the crowds should be 'driven in' to experience the joy of the smithy!

Anyhow, good luck, I look forward to visiting some time.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We are pretty lucky with our host of country forges as far as crowds go. The Moonta Mines forge has a set of bleachers to hold twenty odd people. Angaston can host a fair crowd standing up as does Riverton, Tailem Bend and in the near future, we are opening up the Roseworthy Agricultural College forge. So many forges and not enough weekends!
And Woody- we have the Booleroo Steam and Traction rally this Sunday, so I'll put in a word about the traction engine.

Cheers,
Rob

Do you plan on hanging bellows for each forge from the ceiling? Bellows are my choice of air source as they are quiet allowing easier conversation with the spectators, and relaxing to use.

I am currently working on building the third bellows that I have made in my lifetime. If you run into any difficulties in building bellows I would be happy to share solutions that I learned from building them.

post-2340-0-64338500-1332246549_thumb.jp

Hi David,
We are unsure of the size and condition of the bellows. We will discover that in a few weeks. I would be very surprised if they are functional, as they have most likely come from farm property forges that have been out of action for many years. Most of our country forges have large bellows suspended from the ceiling and are purely for display, replaced with hand blowers. I also like using bellows, as there is a fluid rhythm and economy in their use and I know the spectators like seeing them in action. If we need to make repairs to them I'll certainly call out for your help. Thanks.
Regards,
Rob

• 6 years later...

G,day im at Gawler South Just commissioned my very first coal fired Forge yesterday, im new to Blacksmithing ,but 40 years into boilermaking, I finished off my forge yesterday, after Glenns advice I made a new base grate and this was my second go last night

link removed as it will not load.