I Forge Iron

Roses

Nolano

I've started working with brass and copper to make flowers. I learned to make them out of iron first and these were my first brass and copper projects.

IMG_20110304_133121-1.jpg
A brass hairstick I made for my friend on her birthday (My first item made of brass)
IMG_20110711_163149.jpg

And another one from copper I made to see how adding leaves would work out.

they are very pretty nolano - i have never worked in brass, but i have in copper and i really like it. how is brass to work? something else you can try is hammering the edges more of each petal so they get very thin and slightly grooved, it also makes the edges easier to shape subtley. thanks for posting the pics - i bet your friend loved hers!
macbruce - i love you seuss quote - cant get enough of that guy!

macbruce - i love you seuss quote - cant get enough of that guy!

I love Googling quotes, and Dr Seuss was the last guy I figured I'd use for a signature........Aleister Crowley has some cool ones too, probly too much for the moderators......... :lol:

Beautiful work man.....are the leaves held on by making two leaves on a common stem and then wrapped around the stem of the rose?

Yeah, thats how I did this one. It's a little loose, I'm thinking of holding them on with a dab of solder.

they are very pretty nolano - i have never worked in brass, but i have in copper and i really like it. how is brass to work? something else you can try is hammering the edges more of each petal so they get very thin and slightly grooved, it also makes the edges easier to shape subtley. thanks for posting the pics - i bet your friend loved hers!

She did, but it was my first brass project and she lusts after my newer and admittedly slightly better ones.
Brass isn't really much different than copper. I think you need to anneal it more because it can be a little crack happy if you're not careful. The other thing is unfortunately most brass rod stock is free machining brass, which is awful for cold working. Cartridge brass is your best bet, although some others have good forming capabilities, but it's a little hard to say because I haven't found really solid info on that. That first one was a piece of 3/16 brazing rod.

Yeah, thats how I did this one. It's a little loose, I'm thinking of holding them on with a dab of solder.

you could try fullering in around the position the leaves wrap around, so it cannot slip. just a thought. nice rose!

• 6 months later...