I Forge Iron

Required temperature tolarances

Karn3

I'm in the initial planning stages of making a gas forge mainly for fire welding, and I was wondering what temperature the blanket lining needs to be able to tolerate. I've found a place that I can easily get some from and the max temp theirs will go to is 1400 C. Is this enough or do I need something a little more heavy duty? If that is enough which one would be better because they come in different densities. Many thanks in advance!

8# density 1300C (2400F) ceramic wool is commonly used. It requires a coating for a couple of reasons, to prevent air born fibers, to give the working surface a higher temperature rating (propane can generate temperatures over 3000F, 1650C), as well as to provide an IR reflective property to the inside of the cavity, which will improve efficiency.

8 pound/cu ft is 128 kg/cu m

Phil

I was going to follow the blueprint for a gas forge that's on here but apparently the page is broken at the moment. This is my first build so I'm not really up on everything yet, I didn't know that the flux reacted with the blanket for instance. Not that I've ever used flux for my firewelding, I was always told its an unnecessary extravagance. I've never really had any problems welding so I've never bothered. Also that's more money :(
What sort of thing would you recommend I coat it with? On the off chance that I ever actually use flux I would like to avoid the cotton candy/water scenario.

Depends a lot on what you will be welding. If you start working with extremely high carbon high chromium high nickle alloys you may find that a good flux helps a whole lot! If you work with old real wrought iron flux is not so helpful.

Most folks I know who do a lot of welding in their propane forge use a rammable refractory for the inner liner that is extremely resistant to flux like bubble alumina.(IIRC)