I Forge Iron

I just read about bog-iron ore "Was a soft ore found in the marshy low lands fed by seepage from underground. As the water leaked through the iron bearing soil and rocks formations it dissolved the iron salts. which were then carried into the open air of The Marsh. The decaying vegetation in the marsh acting upon this solution separated the iron salts and deposited them in the form of a reddish sludge. By this slow continuing process of percolation. deposits of bog ore built up and became thick enough to be dug out in much the same way as pear. Provided the marsh was not drained and the growth of more vegetation was not halted. a bog renewed its supply of ore once every twenty years." From the book the blacksmith ironworker and farrier by Aldren A Watson So when the colonists came to this country they were use to digging surface mines for iron all they needed was a source of iron water power and wood.

I just read about bog-iron ore "Was a soft ore found in the marshy low lands fed by seepage from underground. As the water leaked through the iron bearing soil and rocks formations it dissolved the iron salts. which were then carried into the open air of The Marsh. The decaying vegetation in the marsh acting upon this solution separated the iron salts and deposited them in the form of a reddish sludge. By this slow continuing process of percolation. deposits of bog ore built up and became thick enough to be dug out in much the same way as pear. Provided the marsh was not drained and the growth of more vegetation was not halted. a bog renewed its supply of ore once every twenty years." From the book the blacksmith ironworker and farrier by Aldren A Watson So when the colonists came to this country they were use to digging surface mines for iron all they needed was a source of iron water power and wood.

+ limestone for flux(eventually discovered at Saugus R.)

There is a number of different ores. Limonite is also called brown hematite, brown ore, bog iron ore, and shot ore when in the form of loose round particles. I have see shot ore from Montana. It usually contains 30% to 55% iron. It is sometimes in stalactitic form and is found in Alabama, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Refernce: "Materials Handbook" by Brady & Clauser, McGraw-Hill, 1977 edition.

Bog iron is pretty interesting stuff, more or less created by the biological action of bacteria, so that makes iron a renewable resource. The Norse found plenty of it when the came to the New World and it was something they actively looked for when they went a Viking. When they found bog iron it indicated a good place to settle. I read an article in Scientific American a long time ago that was talking about how bog iron and even gold were the waste deposits of bacteria, I found it interesting at the time that I like working iron, poop from bacteria and that one of my best friends at the time liked working in the poop of another bacteria, gold. The little boogers just took the ions in and concentrated them and then s**t them out, who would have thought. God is so good to us to have a bacterium to the concentration work for us early on in the iron age. :lol: