I Forge Iron

!! It's another Ohioan !!

Ohio Rusty

I hail by the name of Ohio Rusty. I live in the S.E. Ohio Hill country in Wayne Nat'l Forest.
I am a newbie to the world of blacksmithing, but have been making some things (and ruining some things) over the last 6 months or so. I have been a long time 18th century historical re-enactor, but I think I'm getting to old to be a young aged longhunter. The persona doesn't fit my older look in my mid 50's now. I have enjoyed thew awe, mystery and art of blacksmithing for many years, and have just acquired a blower and small portable forge. I have a few tongs and a few hammers, but no real anvil to speak of.

My goal now is to portray an 18th century Ohio pioneer settler and blacksmith (think primitive). When I attend historical events or rendevous's, I want to set up a small portable blacksmith area where I can make things, display the fun of iron pounding to others, and maybe make a few things to sell to the public and other re-encators. I have in the past made some 'S' hooks, blanket pins, candle holders and other small items.

I'm here to learn from the postings of the other listmembers and to ask questions that will help me learn more. Tuesday evenings in Grove City Ohio I attend an informal gathering of 4 other 'smiths that are much more experienced where I can ask questions while pounding on white hot iron things. My next task is to make a small coal rake and clinker poker for my little portable forge. I hope by fall I can attend some of the forts like Fort Randolph in W. Va. and Ft. Boonesboro in Ky. and have enough experience to make a good coal fire and bend iron well and not make junk.
Ohio Rusty

So you are using charcoal and bellows and no cast iron forge. What's your anvil like? Steve Parker forged some nice small travel anvils that would be appropriate (actually they are good from Roman times till early 1800's!)

Do you know Don Yors or Adlai Stein?

Hope to see you at Quad-State in September!

Thanks David and Thomas !!
My current anvil is a cast iron 15 pounder. A bit too small, looking to go up a bit in weight and size, but yet still be easily carried. I can't talk the wife into carrying the anvil yet <BG>. A bellows set up would be more correct, but for now the forge is a rivet type forge with a small hand crank blower. I'll look into the Steve Parker anvil info.
The place I hang out and pound iron is at Don Yors house... or should I say his garage. Adlai does stop over, along with several other folks you most likely know ....
I hope to make Quad state a reality ... but it depends on work .....and money ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

So you are using charcoal and bellows and no cast iron forge. What's your anvil like? Steve Parker forged some nice small travel anvils that would be appropriate (actually they are good from Roman times till early 1800's!)

Do you know Don Yors or Adlai Stein?

Hope to see you at Quad-State in September!

Be sure to mention my name to Don next time you go over and see if he's taking good care of what was once *my* brake!

Since you can camp at Quad-State the incidental expenses can be fairly low. Bet you could arrange a carpool to get there too. The problem is that one wants to buy stuff there.

I plan to attend Quad-State if my 22 year old truck makes it from New Mexico.