I Forge Iron

SLICK revisite'

Hey I have a little project going where I am scraping peeling paint from slightly mushy masonite siding and stabilizing it with Kwik-Poly. This requires that I remove the old paint from most of the surface up to about a foot above the foundation (I think this to be the snow line). This paint, even though peeling some, is pretty resistant to being completely removed. Enter the SLICK chisel! This wonderful tool refuses to take no for an answer! If need be I can shave the paint right off and even slice off the top millimeter or so of the masonite surface. Easy too! The weight and extreme sharpness make this tool a very useful asset for this project! The geometry of my blade design creates a gouging type cut when I use it bevel down and a MUCH flatter but still slightly gouging cut when used bevel up. The slight curve on the side opposite the bevel allows me clearance for my hands and to control the cut depth to amazing tolerances! I have been using this tool a lot on this project and am quite impressed with it's performance! It is my most powerful tool for this job... better than any power tool (and I have most all of them). It puts wire brushes and my hand forged heavy scrapers to SHAME!

Just thought I would share this as this is somewhat non-traditional usage for a slick... maybe some of my brother smiths will be inspired to make themselves one and work easier and faster thereafter!

post-5493-0-67013200-1310600393_thumb.jp