I Forge Iron

Forge "liner"

mnt

Hello all,

I am new to all this, but thanks to my brother have caught this blacksmithing bug. I have spent a lot of time reading old posts and generally becoming more inspired.

I have a new to me buffalo forge (will take some pics tomorrow) my question is; should the bottom be lined with sand or anything to "protect" it from the heat? I will most likely use charcoal to start.

I have read a lot of the old posts, but have not read anything on this one way or another.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to posting some pics of projects.

Greetings, and welcome to your new obssesion/hobby. I was at a confrence way back in 1994, and heard Frank Turley reccomend a sand cement mix for lining a cast iron forge. I used that mix on my buffalo rivet forge then and it has not cracked or burned out since. Mix 3 parts sand and 1 part PORTLAND cement (not concrete) mix it moist it will mold to shape and after drying overnight. FIRE IT UP!

Here are pics of the forge and the blower. I still need to disassemble the blower and clean it. From what I have read on here oil is better than grease for the bearings, the interesting thing is that this blower has zirk fittings for grease, and from what I understand they must have been added later, not originally.

Forge looks to be about 1/8 inch thick. For the liner, I like firebrick idea if that will work. I will have to move the forge to use it, so keeping the weight down would be great. If mixing up a sand cement type liner is far superior, then fabbing some wheel mounts to one end is really not much of an issue.

Thanks for the ideas

post-7911-0-26456700-1310312426_thumb.jp
post-7911-0-86627000-1310312405_thumb.jp
post-7911-0-78159400-1310312393_thumb.jp
post-7911-0-48634300-1310312361_thumb.jp