I Forge Iron

dies

saintjohnbarleycorn

It works fantastic, I don't really know what the tonnage is I have not figured it out. IT will press 1/2" x 1/2" to less than 1/4" in one press more if the dies are small. really helps with stainless and most everything else. IT gets it down to a workable size for me to use the hammer on. I like the aspect of the open front so you and move things around and put large pieces in without the normal restriction of a H style press. It had been hooked up to a pto pump that I had to hook up to my tractor and of course it was outside. I used a 3 hp 3 phase motor, on a variable drive. The standard 11 gpm northern Hydraulics $143 pump. Now its a matter of dies, I wan to make a punch and maybe a cutoff. If You decide to make one, I don't think you will regret it. ONe caution is don't buy the pump unitl you are ready to actually hook it up, the seals can go bad if you leave it on the shelf. good luck.

• 3 months later...

The tooling I use the most is the fuller flatter combo. This is used as a bottom or top only or as a both top and bottom depending on what I'm pushing. These are used for fullering/drawing out and flattening. It's a basic knifemakers tool, but is great in all applications. As far as the cutter is concerned, be sure that you have stops on either side so that the top plate doesn't push right down to the cutting edge. If it does it can shoot the piece you're cutting across the room at the tonnage of your press. Also use a good steel as the edge wants to fold over. Pictured is my old cutter. See how the side posts bowed and the cutter wore in the center. That was a straight blade.

In time you'll find more tools that you will need. I had a pile of them on the floor and finally built a couple racks for them so they are a quick access.

post-1310-0-66425200-1320501083_thumb.jp

post-1310-0-43377700-1320501098_thumb.jp

post-1310-0-82100900-1320501112_thumb.jp

Chuck, it's a double 6" cylinder with a 5 h.p. motor and a Northern Tool, 16 GPM, 2 stage, 1/2" shaft, 2,500 PSI / max 3,000 PSI which means the press is rated at 60 tons.

Hey, I'll take that as a compliment. I tried working with the tooling scattered all over the floor and I just had to make some tooling racks. What good is quick change tooling when it takes ten minutes to find the tool you need?

post-1310-0-34648400-1320551193_thumb.jp