I Forge Iron

Bick Anvil Dimensions?

I'm making a bick anvil to go on a stake plate. I know what shapes I'm going to forge the "anvil head" but I'm not sure what measurements would be the best for the height of the vertical leg of the T or the length of the "arms" on either side of leg.
I'm not sure if I got the terminology right! but you can guess :D

woodtick: The rules are VERY strict for bick anvils. They MUST be exactly the shape and dimensions you want. Or at least exactly what they turn out to be when you forge them.

:shock:

They are just a tool. Make one to suit the tasks you have in mind. If you have to have better guidance than that, then I'd suggest that the one I own, and most that I've seen are roughly equal lengths of a tri-sided figure. So each end of the bick is about the same length as the main shank is tall. You can get away with longer or shorter. Get the main shank as big as you can get away with, but the real vulnerability is the hardie hole or pexto plate in which you support it. So you can sort of figure your dimensions based on the size of the hardie (square) hole... whatever it will support.

Funny coincidence... I'm making one of these, mostly by stock removal and welding ;) I am actually making it in the "triangle" as Ed said, but purely by chance, using two 1' pieces of 1" x 1-1/4" mild welded together in a tee and with a 1" square hardy shank created through stock removal on the bottom of the vertical element. It feels like the right size as I'm working on it. Time will tell.

Ed
I have never used one of these before or even seen one except in pictures so I don't know what I want. :mrgreen:
What I will want it for is mainly making hooks and forming rings.
My main concern was that if I got the shank too high or the arms too long the bick might lose it's solidness.

I'm using a truck axle for the shank and arms, with one arm forged into a round pointed horn and the other arm forged into a half-xxxed duckbill horn.

My stake plate is a 1 inch thick plate on a heavy hardwood stump. The hardie hole isn't cut in the plate yet, but it will probably be 1 inch square.

words edited