I Forge Iron

Chainsaw Blade Damascus

Glenn1022

Finally was able to polish up a section of a Damascus billet I made from chainsaw blades. I forge welded it on a coal forge. This is my third billet I have made from them but it is the best one yet. First two had several inclusions and rough areas (mostly around the tip and near the back of the billet) but this round I tied up my blades evenly as I could before tack welding the edges. The results were much better. Keeping the chainsaw blades immobile as possible seems to be the trick for me. I will forge it down a little further and make my tang later this week if weather permits. This has been rather fun making Damascus from scrap stuff. I have used lawnmower blades to make Damascus to start off with and they worked out fine to odds and end bearings mixed with drill bit shavings. Amazing the things you can use....except 5160...this stuff is hard to forge weld...at least for me that is. Can not wait to see what the finished knife will look like. I think I will make several more billets and set them up for a rainy day or during the winter months when I cant get outside to work of the forge. Sorry for the crummy picture....my camera is not the best for close ups.

post-8669-0-49577100-1309065154_thumb.jp

Looking good so far. I was doing a welding job yesterday for a logger friend of mine and he gave me a saw chain from a buck saw. It looks like a chain saw chain but, on steroids. I've worked for him several times over the past few years and have picked up their (scrap) chains. I've probably got 20 to 25 lbs of them now. If not more. Sad thing is I have not had time to do anything with them. I'm looking forward to having some time this summer to make a few blades and see how it turns out.

Scott

I've tried this and the result have been pretty good. It hardened and tempered fine, I've just got to put a handle on it. I like the way your pattern has come out. I wrapped mine up differently and the pattern came out all swirly.

post-21204-0-11164100-1309087508_thumb.j

Very Nice!! I have a box of about 50lbs worth of both regular chainsaw blades and the giant blades off of the log harvesters. I have a few tacked up with handles just waiting to be welded but havent gotten to it.... Yet! Keep up the good work. Hope mine comes out as nice when i do get to it.