I Forge Iron

New air hammer

I bought an air hammer from a friend of mine who was moving recently. It is a well made hammer with a #50 tup and a solid 12" anvil. It has the typical tubing arrangement for the versa valve, with a dryeregulator/oiler on the inlet. It has 1/2" ports on the valve, but only 3/8" tubing connecting everything . It works well overall but there are a few charachteristics in it that I would like to tune out of it. First, the first strike is not a ful strike, the tup goes halfway down then returns to the top, then the next strike is a full strike. Next,and I am not entirely sure how to describe it, but it seems to hold back on the hits when the tup gets close to the anvil. With my other hammer (#50 Star foundry)it hits hard when you push the treadle down, but when I push the treadle on this it seems to begin to slow right befor it hits. It is not stopping due to a mechanical limitation, but maybe because it is not getting rid of the air on the bottom side of the cylinder and it begins to compress it. I was thinking that it may be due to the small tubing size, and thougt I would replace the tubin with 1/2" and se if that helped matters. I have also seen some hammers with a regulator in between the valve and the cylinder, on the bottom side. Is this to limit the air pressure under the cylinder to avoid this problem. I have seen some hammers with it, but more without it. Also, I am running it a about 65psi. If I bump the pressure up more the hammer starts to not hit hte anvil, and do some ther funny stuff. What is the average pressure to run one of these hammers? The cylinder is a 2 x 10 as I recall.

Thanks,

To help with your trouble shooting, most, I'm sure will say "we need pics of the full arrangements of everything" = lot of pictures of everything, so-as those with knowledge can see what your working with and give the proper advice.... more info (pics) please. - JK