I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing 101

Hi guys...I'm brand spankin' new to this board, and don't really know my way around yet. My name is Randy, and I'm located in southeast Mn. Does anybody know of any ongoing beginning smithing classes or seminars that occur around my area? (Rochester MN.) I'm looking to be putting my G-G-grandfathers smithing equipment to work, and I need a beginners class somewhere. I'm lighting the old forge as I type. Any info appreciated...Thanks.

Welcome aboard Randy, glad to have you. It's a treat few of us have to be able to work on family equipment, your grand father'll be smiling down on you. There're lots of smiths near you, many here on IFI. I'm sure they'll really enjoy helping someone get started who has everything.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hi Randy.

I am in Winona County about 1/2 hour +- from Rochester.

Give me a call at 507 875 2592.

Bob

Here you go Randy, Bob's the man for you, close and accomplished. He's a great guy and smiths professionally Gretchen's a real sweetheart to put icing on the opportunity. We got to spend some time at the fire too many years ago and I picked up a bunch.

Are you still sharpening chisles Bob? I picked up a 50lb Little Giant a couple years ago and am thinking of making some dies and seeing if the local tool rental outfits would prefer to pay less for sharpened bits than toss em and buy new replacements. I'll probably have questions if there's enough interest.

Jer