I Forge Iron

where to get new pump

saintjohnbarleycorn

Your alignment from the motor to pump is bad or- you have too much thrust on the pump shaft. I've gone though two logsplitter pumps this way, One domestic, one import so it's not really a question of quality. Do you have a C-face motor with an integral adapter or is it a separate pump mount? Improper motor rotation (even for a split second) will blow out seals as well.

thanks steve, you could be right, I turned a fitting on the lathe to connect the pump and the motor. After researching and talking to some people it seems that leaving it on the shelf for a couple of years will dry the seals out and kaput the pump. I also found out that there is not a really good substitute for this pump, so I ordered a new one.
how did you get the alignment set up properly? thanks again

Definately use a lovejoy coupler. For those that don't know- it's a flexible coupling that goes between your pump and motor. Helps reduce minormisalignment, vibration and other stresses on the pump shaft, all of which, logsplitters anyway, have very wimpy bearings. Be careful though, I ran the cushion a little snug between the two halves and that blew up a retainer ring on the last pump I had. It didn't leak but I knew something was wrong when I had no low pressure high flow, only high pressure low flow. Drain the tank, pull the pump, oil everywhere and suddenly I'm a hydraulics expert!~

If your motor doesn't have a C-face then yes, you'll have to use an angle mount. If you do have a C-face motor I really recommend the cast motor/pump adapters from Surplus Center for about 40$. They really took the heartache out of the alignment problems I'd had in the past. Surplus Center has the couplings and good deals on fittings too.

For the best price on Barnes log splitter type pumps in several sizes, bell housings to adapt to motors and engines couplings and lots of other useful goodies, may I commend Bailey Sales in Knoxville TN. The phone is 1-800-800-1810 and the have a website.