I Forge Iron

Golden Rectangle

Francis, you do know how to get the wheels turning (grin)

Once I re-read the Golden Rectangle Blueprint BP0026 by Boyd Holden, I located Phi to be 1.61803398874989484820458683436563811772030917980576286213544862270526046281890... it goes on from there, but this is close enough for blacksmithing. Now to decide if I want it to be left handed or right handed and build my own Fibonacci gauge from metal.

I wonder if I should make two Fibonacci gauges, one for imperial measurements and one for metric measurements?

This should help it was easy to make and it works real well. I do not think the imperial or metric matters it is works on a percents 1 to 1.6 I recall reading that BP a long time a go. Now that you mention right handed or left handed I didn't think of that when I was putting it together very good point Glenn. Mine was put together left handed I put it together upside down. LOL
http://www.zram.com/...per%20Parts.pdf

Another way to determine the sides of a Golden Rectangle is to use a Phi ruler. I bought one from a wood worker supply store. On one side you measure the long side and the bottom half of the ruler will give that dimension decreased by Phi. The other side of the ruler assumes that the short side is know and gives you the same dimension increased by Phi for the long side. It has the value of Phi, 1.618 etched into the ruler, so even if I am not going to use the ruler, it is easy to find the value.

The ruler has no manufacturer's name on it. Mine is 18" long, ss, and made in Taiwan. I seem to remember from when I bought it, that it was available in a number of different lengths.