I Forge Iron

Student going to Hammer-In at Tonopah Historic Mining Park

Anyone going to Tonopah, willing to take on a student for the day, a paying student, I would love to get an introduction and a idea about what this blacksmithing thing is all about and I think it would be cool to do it at this event. Anyone interested in giving a beginner a lesson, contact me at walker@newsportphoto.com
Thank You

Howdy,
I noticed no ones jumped on about going to Tonopah, I'll toss a few words out to ease your stress. The event is listed in the CBA news, that almost always means that there will be someone there who will help you. I cut my teeth going to CBA functions, I feel it's in the top ten percent of clubs that actually promote education realistically. Bring a sketchbook, wander around, ask if there's a beginner department, watch the elders body mechanics and fire management, keep a safe distance from who's working, ask questions, and have fun. Bring safety glasses and wear them through the gate. I'm pretty sure you'll get data overload by 2:00 PM. If you have more questions after the event, ask them here. I know 50 good smiths in oregon/california. They all have their own spin, and product. The beauty is, the moves are all the same, just different applications. Watch everybody, pick the fruit you find sweet.

Good words Mike!! I've been debating on whether or not I would make the drive. Sadly, I'm going to pass. I'm headed to Richmond instead....Cluadio!

Metalwalker-
You are close to a bunch of outstanding smiths. If you haven't already, Join the California Blacksmiths Association, Its cheep for what you get. What you get is access to great instruction and events as well as member who might be interested in helping you along the way....

Fe, I was pondering hard about seeing Claudio, but I'm heading to the Dudkowski life celebration the week before, and am going to forge till I wear a saddle in my new anvil.

Metalwalker, Brett Mouton has an open forge in the reno area a couple times a month. Costs a bit for for the forge time, but reasonable for what you get. I spent a couple beers watching Brett and the CBA education team going at a handled flatter like a bunch of wolverines at the last hammer-in, my kind of folks.

• 2 months later...

When is the event, and where is the info listed? I live on the other side of Las Vegas, and have been through Tonopah a couple of times while running machine guns up to Hawthorn.

Metalwalker, where are you located? I know one other smith in Las Vegas, and one in Henderson.

For you guys and gals over in Nevada- reno area. Brett Moten has a Killer shop with lots of big anvils. He has open forge nights on Wednesdays. I think the1st and 3rd of the month. Check the CBA Website for details> http://www.calsmith.org/. I've been working off and on with Brett for several years. Excellent and talented smith and teacher. You will get your moneys worth if you take a class. By the way, He won't be there the 17th.

If you get the wild hair, make the drive to mount hood! A bunch of us from that part of the country will be up there kick'en it up. 5 Days and counting.....