I Forge Iron

Looking for a new small anvil (UK)

I'm looking to treat myself to a new small anvil, something in the 15-30kg range, for use as a bench anvil. I'm a UK resident, and am already aware of the suppliers like Vaughans and Glendale forge.

Their prices are a little steep for my budget. I am wondering if anyone knows of any alternative suppliers in the UK that arent quite as eye wateringly expensive.

Second hand ideas are fair enough, it is difficult to find the smaller size I am after second hand. If anyone knows of a good second hander in these sizes suggestions are also welcome.

i got my workshop anvil from Cottams: http://www.cottamhorseshoes.com/hardened_steel_anvils.htm They were the cheapest new anvils I could find that were of a quality suitable for forgework (ie not cast iron pieces of shite sold for settign rivets on!). Depending on what you want to use the anvil for there may be other alternatives out there too

Its going to be my bench anvil, so for doing all my marking on. Also I'll use it for doing my small scale soft metal work. And it'll be useful as a jumping up block. Might do some very light forging on it. It is very important that I be able to move it around my workshop and house easily and with little effort, so 15-30kg is the weight range I want.

sounds like you would be able to use any old block of metal with the same success as a nice posh (expensive) new anvil. Just got to the scrappy and find a block of mild or even one of those cast iron jobbies from machine mart. marking work, soft metal stuff and upsetting son't really require a 'proper' anvil, infact I don't use one by preference myself. If it's a smaller one (say 5 or 10kg) then you can always bolt it to the bench, if you have a 30kg then the bench will need to really solid and will likely flex when used anyway.

I had a different anvil from Cottams. They used to make a workshop anvil (2cwt?) but rarely sold them, so I had the last one they had and at a discounted price (shop soiled, ie a scratch in the paint!), I think it was about £600 but could be wrong there it was a while ago! I only use it for straightening long blades, bending over the bick and for the hardy hole, all of my forging and other stuff is done on a 60lb post anvil that I mounted in a log. t is much less noisey and suits my way of working much better.

oh btw, there were some 15 and 30kg anvils on ebay uk yesterday. likely cast, but shiny and new

I ended up buying a small 25kg Glendale pattern anvil from Glendale forge. It is a small table-less anvil that comes with an upsetting block on the base. Nice wide table. 3/4 inch hardy hole. Absolute beauty, and not badly priced at 190 quid brand new. Thats a full 40 quid cheaper than the same size from Vaughans.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I've actually found the manufacturer of Vaughans anvils whilst browsing wholesaling websites. Its a company called Elcomp from South Africa. They have exactly the same marketing blurb and photos. Also the same weights! Random eh?!

I know why you were put off by Glendale's website. I didnt like it either. Mind you, having spoken to them on the phone, I cannot rate them higher. They have given me excellent service, and have even helped me source a couple of bargains, since they also run a separate second-hand section. Awesome stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

Tracy here from Vaughans glad you are really pleased with your new anvil,we actually supply Glendale and Elcomp with our Made In England Anvils.

If you see the price on our website always ask for a discount !

I actually think I quoted you for this anvil.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I've actually found the manufacturer of Vaughans anvils whilst browsing wholesaling websites. Its a company called Elcomp from South Africa. They have exactly the same marketing blurb and photos. Also the same weights! Random eh?!

I know why you were put off by Glendale's website. I didnt like it either. Mind you, having spoken to them on the phone, I cannot rate them higher. They have given me excellent service, and have even helped me source a couple of bargains, since they also run a separate second-hand section. Awesome stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Tracy. To how many countries do you export? Or is it a trade secret??

I suspect that with all the sizes you make, and doing single bick, double bick, farriers' and saw makers' anvils you probably have the biggest range of any manufacturer. How many different anvils do you actually offer?

My 2:2:0 VAughans is still working hard here BTW.