I Forge Iron

I've got a KB, Dan. Only difference I think :huh: is the anvil.
What's up?

Hi Cybo11 - Well - I am moving my shop. The hammer has been located in the same corner of my old shop for something like 17 years until now, and the move just got me to thinking that there must be somebody out there who has one of these hammers. My curiosity on how others have set heir hammers up is the main reason for asking .

When I purchased my hammer form Centaur, the instructions indicated that the hammer should be installed on a reinforced concrete foundation set into the ground . I expected to eventually move, so for this small hammer, instead I cast a heavily reinforced concrete block a foot thick with a foot print of 30" x 48". which was then set on a timber matt over my brick shop floor. Essentially the concrete block is a floating foundation which I have always thought of as an inertia block. The hammer tup weigh 26KG or about 53 pounds so the machine has respectable power for it' smallish size. It has performed well for me installed on this bloc. The combined weight of the block and machine is somewhere around 2400 pounds which, since it was located in my basement shop, was about he max that I thought i could manage to move up and out without a motor crane. The Timber mat was Installed mainly as a spacer to raise the hammer because the hammer is really short and needs to sit in an elevated location unless the smith were about 3'-6" tall.

It has been a long time since I looked at the KB hammer but my recollection is that the tup is closer to 75 - 80 pounds. Both are nice hammers. The K0 is all I really need though. Any way I thought that it would be nice know who else runs these machines.

The picture of the hammer below shows the hammer leaving the old shop on rollers.

post-14777-0-45810200-1305414102_thumb.j

I know of a reiter 25kg and believe it was the forerunner of your hammer it is installed on a concrete block though smaller than yours in width . I have seen this hammer through 2 smiths, the first one bought it second hand in wales where I used to rent shop time 17 years later the hammer is now local to me and run by another friend I'll get some pictures .
It is a fine hammer and I regret not buying it when it was offered to me , I was traveling at the time...hey ho.

taking the concrete block thats a chore. Look at the bases that james Johnson makes for the http://www.anyangusa.net/ hammer would be less cumbersome to move. that hammer looks brand new might be a better way to get the right height for you

Francis - This one was set up as recommended by the manufacturer except the foundation block is about 1/3 rd the recommended size. As it is the base weighs about 1500 pounds. The move wouldn't have been particularly difficult except I had to move it up 14 steps to access my trailer. I bought the hammer around 1993. It looks new because I dislike moving dirty equipment. It was cleaned before the move. The concrete block works well for me and moving it as a 2400 pound package is do-able. In this instance, I moved it without assistance, except for a winch, a come along and the usual miscellaneous rigging. As it turns out, moving it on the concrete base is actually less hazardous because the majority of the weight is in the base. This means the load is not top Heavy.

I have been packing the old shop this week and so have not installed it in it's new resting/working place. That will happen tomorrow. Then the details such as power.

I know of a reiter 25kg and believe it was the forerunner of your hammer it is installed on a concrete block though smaller than yours in width . I have seen this hammer through 2 smiths, the first one bought it second hand in wales where I used to rent shop time 17 years later the hammer is now local to me and run by another friend I'll get some pictures .
It is a fine hammer and I regret not buying it when it was offered to me , I was traveling at the time...hey ho.

I hadn't remembered that about Rieter, so i cruised a bit on internet and found an interview with Bill Pieh of Centaur forge in 1985 where Reiter hammers were discussed. A few years later I purchased Kuhn from from Centaur. I also found a site that pictured a Reiter KB. that looked like a Kuhn KB. Looks like you are right about Reiter. When I get a chance I will try to locate the papers and manual from the sale. You are right The KO is a powerful little hammer. I am lucky to have it. I do look forward to seeing a picture of the Reiter .

• 1 year later...

the add has been deleted but here is the text. for $2800:

This German made power hammer is a remakable tool for the serious blacksmith or metal worker. Hard to find, this is a Model K-O, 3hp, 230/460 volt. I am selling this for a friend who's husband is deceased. I know nothing about this tool other than it works and has seen only moderate use. Serious buyers will be given the opportunity to test it out. I should also say this is one heavy dude and is bolted to a concrete filled frame. Buyer will need to be able to remove it. We are asking $2,800 for the machine, base and any accessories that we can determine go with it. Please reply with a name and phone number so I can call you. Check this link to see original spec sheets on the Type K-O hammer:
http://www.beautifuliron.com/tempImages/scans/AirHammer1989_KuhnHammersBigIssue_2.jpg

I base the 8K number on the stated condition (very good), and extra dies and tooling to go with it.
Some recent sales on fleabay for mechanical hammers : Rebuilt Little Giant 50 lb@ $5000, rebuilt 25lb LG @ $4306, Kerihard 30 lb @ $3250 2 more LG @ 2800 ea, 1 25lb , 1 50lb, and no longer listed the anyang/striker 165 that sold for aprox $7800, about 1/2 of new value.
Also a big blu 155 on there with a buy it now of $5900.
Kuhn is a way better hammer than any mentioned above in my limited opinion. Is 40% off of new a fair price if in new condition?

I just caught up with this new series of postings. My KO with two sets of dies and shipping cost cost around $8,000 in1992-93. Can't remember the actual date or amount but that is close. These are powerful little hammers. Unless that hammer was used as a production hammer I would think that it would hold it's value, especially considering the fact that a 1992-93 dollar was worth a lot more than today's dollar.

I dreamed up a quick change die system that adds the flexibility that I need . I know that a lot of folks say flat dies are the only way to go but believe that this hammer offers an opportunity to work another way. The strike pattern is always precisely the same. That is to say that the dies always hit the same spot to within a few thousanths of an inch every time. This allows a bit more freedon in using a variety of tool shapes in lieu and with standard dies. Since most of my work involves relatively small work pieces, mainly up to an inch square, lighter more flexable dies work fine where they would not if forging in a production type environment . Of course I have the flat and drawing dies as well, and the quick change dies are built around a set of commercial flat dies that I modified. Thers base dies stay in the hammer the QC dies are in and out of the base dies. Hammer has to be stopped to change dies by loosening two allen head cap screws per die. Very fast