I Forge Iron

What anvil is this

I have a chance to get this 250 lb anvil. The owner doesn't know anything about it.
Ever seen one like it?

Does the base look like cast iron? I wonder if the face is the only thing steel?

Any help would be appreciated.

I will see if I can get any more pictures.

Thanks for looking

Larry

post-20811-0-40047800-1304530024_thumb.j

Cant see it well enough. One warning though. many cast iron anvils have a "fake cast faceplate" that sticks out like that one does. Real steel face plates don't in my experience.

I live about 250 miles from where this is. I agree that the the pic is too small and have requested this and extra pictures to show me more about it.
I think it looks pretty flaky anyway. Plus a 250 lb anvil for $400 is a good price , but enough to make me check everything out.

It looks like it has two hardy holes on the top. Think it might be photoshopped?

I also asked the guy to give me any markings that were on it.

For that kind of money and also for how far I would have to travel, I really need to be sure it is a "real, steel, deal" :)

Thanks for the reply

Larry

Have you tried my method out yet?

Talking with *everyone* you meet about needing an anvil! You don't want to buy an anvil for someone trying to make money selling one. You want to buy it from someone who has one but doesn't know what to do with it and will be happy to sell it to you cheaply.

I've only picked up one anvil in AR and that was $75 for a 93# Arm in Hammer in good using condition.

Have you tried my method out yet?

Talking with *everyone* you meet about needing an anvil! You don't want to buy an anvil for someone trying to make money selling one. You want to buy it from someone who has one but doesn't know what to do with it and will be happy to sell it to you cheaply.

I've only picked up one anvil in AR and that was $75 for a 93# Arm in Hammer in good using condition.

Thomas,

I am actually asking most everyone. Some kind of think I am looney asking them, but I say maybe they know someone who might know of someone.
I have also advertised in the state newspaper and even some of the free papers, as well as advertising on Craigslist as well.

I have some "feelers" out, but nothing yet.

As well as for this anvil, I guess I asked too many questions. He said he was going to answer my questions, then sent another email quickly afterwards saying it was sold.

oh well.

I also have another of the Thomases here who has a 125# for sale. He is going to get me the price. So, i am actively looking for one.
Guess I need to learn patience now :)

Thanks

Larry

Or the fact you don't need a london pattern anvil to do good smithing work!

Pretty much any big hunk of steel can be used though it helps if there is a flat area and a curved area.

Experience will help you a lot more than your anvils shape! Remember that a simple cube of metal has been used as an anvil for over 2000 years while the london pattern dates back around 200.