I Forge Iron

Idea about charcoal energy conservation

Hello.
My friend Noah and I are going to start making, and possibly selling charcoal over the summer, and I was thinking about forge fuels. What if I were to use the indirect method, and direct the gas underneath the retort, so that the charcoal cooks itself, and also use that flame as a forge? So that way I could make and sell the charcoal, and use the gas as a fuel, and that would make everything very fuel efficient and burn cleaner. What do people think about that idea?

Let me see if I understand you right. You plan on taking a container full of wood and putting a gas flame underneath until it(the wood) turns to charcoal. And in the meantime while this is happening you will be using the gas flame to do forge work?

I think he plans on using the wood gas to help sustain the charcoal burning process, which is fairly common in small homebuilt retorts, I think. I don't think you will attain forging heat from the wood gas, Archie. Professional charcoalers make tons of charcoal at a time in charcoal kilns... don't know if you can compete without a real niche (ie quality hickory charcoal... etc). You might could tap a line off the gas tube, with a valve in it, and make a blown burner to go with it, but that is a bit more work than you were thinking of, I think :)

Here is a quote from MOOSE CREEK FORGE that I thought might interest every one. Since I am a Natural Charcoal guy when it comes to my forge fuel I just thought I should share this. If you are looking for good quality hardwood charcoal ( NOT BRIQUETTES !!!) but real harwood lump charcoal check out : www.cowboycharcoal.com you can also Pick it up at Menards home improvement stores across the midwest.

Well here is the quote from Moose Creek Forge ...

"Yes, you can most definitely reach welding heat with charcoal